[klaatumail] Re: pandora.com plays a version of Calling Occupants at a noticeably reduced pitch

  • From: "Bradley, David" <David_Bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 11:27:24 -0400

> Mitch said that Pandora identified it as the
> version FROM "3:47 EST". Can we assume then
> that it ISN'T the single version?

Agreed, BUT, how many radio stations can accurately tell you the source
of their material?  For example, a local FM station has their entire
library on a server. They've got individual tracks, not complete
albums/CDs.  Some of it was sourced from vinyl when they made the
transition to digital, some was sourced from CDs.  If they state that
it's from a specific album, how do we know that they can say that with
any accuracy?  Perhaps it was taken from a bad vinyl transfer?  Perhaps
it was taken from a pirated CD of 3:47 EST (yes, they exist, I have
one)?  Perhaps it was taken from an old cassette and played in a
different cassette deck for the digital transfer.

> If it's the LP version then it blows out your 'speed-up' theory.

I didn't actually propose that they played the single version. I was
just commenting on it being sped up and some radio stations in the 70s
speeding up 45s even further, and that this combination would make that
sound even faster. If you note, Mitch's original email indicated it
sounded slower, not faster, or even MUCH faster. :-)   I guess I just
went off on a tangent when he mentioned being used to vinyl not always
being played at an accurate speed.

> Sounds to me like someone ripped the album track at poor
> MP3 quality...a side effect of which is, on occasion, a
> slower playback speed.

Very true indeed!  I also know of a certain record label that took a 48
KHz wav file and put it directly onto a CD-R test pressing via some
software that didn't automatically detect it was putting the wrong
sample rate file on an audio CD and actually transferred the 48 KHz data
as 44.1 KHz data with no conversion, making the playback sound slow and
just plain "wrong". :-)   It can happen in the digital age with as much
ease as it happened in the analog age.

I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?

:-)

Dave