[klaatumail] R.I.P. Rob Grill

  • From: "Bradley, David" <David_Bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'klaatumail' <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 15:25:51 +0000

Hi all,

Sunday night, my wife and I went to see the current incarnation of "The Happy
Together Tour" which had several bands.

We saw the Buckinghams, The Grassroots, The Association, Mark Lindsay (of Paul
Revere and the Raiders), and the Turtles.

The guys in the grassroots were all later year members, not on any of their
recordings. They were apologetic that Rob Grill couldn't be there, but said he
really needed prayers since he was lying in a hospital in Florida, real ill.

Well, just read online that he died the next day, Monday the 11th of July.
Apparently he had been in a coma with a head injury after a fall some months
ago.

R.I.P. Rob Grill.

So, who did we actually get to see?  Well, because of the format of the show,
the backing band was the same for all the acts and wasn't their current touring
incarnations. HOWEVER, the members who represented each act were:

The Buckinghams:
Carl Giammarese and Nick Fortuna, both original members

The Grassroots:
Mark Dawson and Dusty Hanvey, neither of them were members until the band
reformed in 1985. They've been with the band for 26 years, but were not on any
of their original hit recordings.

The Association:
Russ Giguere, Larry Ramos, Jim Yester, all original members

Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere and the Raiders, he was their original lead singer
and was with the band throughout their entire recording career.

The Turtles:
Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan (aka, Flo and Eddie). These are the two guys who
founded the Turtles along with other friends from high school.  They've always
been the two main voices of the group.

Dave "Going to see 'America' in August" Bradley