[klaatumail] ORIGINAAL versions (no kk)

  • From: no1voice <no1voice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 12:17:08 -0700

> The original title was "Clap for Napoleon", I believe...so it probably
> wasn't about Wolfman Jack originally.  I'll have to check around to
> see
> how/why it ended up as "Wolfman" instead. --  Fred

I've always LOVED stories like this, how Scrambled Eggs became
'Yesterday', etc...

I also hear that Klaatu's biggest hit was originally called:
"Calling Long Distance At Operator Assisted Rates"    ;^P

Sometimes the new lyrics are RADICALLY different from the original
lyrics and/or
intent, which I think makes the end result so much more interesting.

Since it's almost Halloween, let me point out that the iconic
"Thriller" was originally
called 'Starlight', complete with Jacko's bouncy, optimistic,
rainbows-n-unicorns lyrics.
It's such a great 'spooky' melody that it makes it weird imho to hear
upbeat lyrics in
place of the one's we're all familiar with:

http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/3134496/file.html

And recently on the syndicated Breakfast With The Beatles, they
played something
Lennon wrote called "Child of Nature". It seems both John & Paul were
inspired by
Maharishi Yogi in 1968 and they both wrote similar songs; Paul's
"Mother Nature's
Son" made it to the White Album, while John's "Child of Nature" did
not. Eventually,
Lennon would scrap his maudlin lyrics and rewrite it as "Jealous
Guy". As with case
of Jackson's song above, it's kind of a shock to hear the original
altruistic lyrics set to
a familiar melody in a completely different context:

http://www.ymskrecordings.com/audio_files/Beatleswhite/12-Child%20Of%
20Nature.mp3

I think it's also very interesting to note that while both Lennon and
Jackson are known
as humanitarians and songwriters of positive lyrics, I think that
BOTH of these original
versions with their originally sappy, positive lyrics were greatly
improved when the new
lyrics embraced much darker tones....

- Joel-Steven     (Kaalifornia Klaatusian)     8^D