[klaatumail] Re: Dee Long news

  • From: Wesle Dymoke <wesdym@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:29:56 -0800 (PST)

Still not a lawyer (yet), but it looks pretty lightweight to me. Without
actually plodding through the entire printed/posted record and then trying to
compare it to the available evidence of what really happened, I'll wager that
this is a classic case of sour grapes with a dash of butthurt thrown in. And I
think some critics are also probably right in suggesting that it's partly a
smokescreen for a planned re-run for the former mayor. This of course almost
never works. Politics is not a game for the thin-skinned and sometimes you just
have to take your punches and smile anyway.
Did either or both of these organs publish defamatory material? It's possible,
but unlikely. What constitutes defamation is more subjective than objective; it
may seem obvious to the 'victim,' but no so much to everyone else. The first
commenter makes an excellent point, that with ratepayer-supported legal
service, the mayor failed to take action when she was mayor, which by itself
argues strenuously against any of these charges. Anything really constituting
defamation should have been addressed at the time. Even if there was
defamation, failing to act at the time implies consent, if not agreement, and
coming back a year or more later is unlikely to impress any court. It is
ultimately plaintiff's burden to prove, and I think she's very unlikely to
persuade the court to her perspective.

Regardless of the outcome, as another respondent said, no amount of
remuneration can rescue her political career. My mum, an historian, says that
in politics, it's not the actions that have the greatest consequences, but the
responce, because this is where character is revealed, and character is what
really matters most to voters. As the saying goes, it's not the crime that gets
you, it's the coverup. Not content with having lost the election, the former
mayor now seeks to dig her own political grave -- in public, if possible. Short
of kicking a puppy on television, it's hard to imagine what she could do to
make herself more unpalatable to the public.