[kismac] Re: suid off

  • From: Toby Collier <tcollier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:02:37 -0500

On Thursday 28 April 2005 9:53 am, Robin L Darroch (Robin L Darroch
<robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>) wrote:
> Looking at it a different way, how do "modern Unix systems" enable an
> ordinary user to achieve anything that would need admin permissions
> along the way?  How, to take the example of KisMAC, can an
> administrator give regular users permission to (for example) load and
> unload the wlan adapter drivers?

sudo, a setuid program, is commonly used to give admin (or others') rights to
normal users. I guess the biggest benefit of sudo would be that it can
generate logs. I'm not sure how you would audit the use of other setuid
programs as easily.

http://www.aplawrence.com/Basics/sudo.html

--
Toby Collier
http://www.indifferent.com

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start
making vacuum cleaners.