[kismac] Re: suid off

  • From: ard jonker <ard.jonker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:05:23 +0200

At 21:02 +0200 2005/04/28, Brad Knowles wrote:

To be honest, I don't see this as a problem. So you have to type in your admin password when you go to start doing WiFi sniffing/scanning in passive mode -- big deal.

Crawling from under my stone, I beg to differ. When running Kismac in beta versions, it crashes on me frequently (as in 'more often than I wish'). That is not a problem in itself, as I script Kismac to save every 5 mins, so as not to loose the gathered AP's. A side effect of the script is that it starts up Kismac again when it has died, as the script starts with 'tell application Kismac Activate'. At that moment, laying in the trunk of the car or the bike, the OS asks for a password, and this is the very moment I long for SETUID.

Probably running betas makes your mac more unstable than enabling the SUID ;-)

ard