[kismac] Re: UBS dongle for MacBook

  • From: themacuser <themacuser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:30:45 +0930

I see what you mean - that you might be involved in legitimate security testing, just I get so many "help me hack my neighbour's wifi" emails in here, and outside of here, I just read yours and thought "Not another one", when you didn't actually say why you were doing it. Sorry for jumping to conclusions on that.

I'm just already annoyed at the fact that whenever I say wardriving, I usually get asked "That's illegal, isn't it?".

On 21/09/2006, at 12:11 AM, Marcel Stör wrote:

themacuser wrote:
That's not what wardriving is about. What you are describing is
illegal hacking.  Wardriving is something entirely legal that does
not involve doing anything to the found networks.

You're right, I'd rather have called it piggybacking+. Now, whether this is
illegal or not, is something different. You don't know WHY I'm doing what
I'm doing. If it is because my neighbor asked me to check his Wi-Fi
installation it's certainly not illegal - I guess. If I hack his network and
sniff around his files I would be violating several laws at once.

Good reference at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Driving#Ethical_considerations

On 19/09/2006, at 7:37 PM, Marcel Stör wrote:
- I can't use KisMac "out of the box" on my MacBook (not Pro) to go
war
driving (i.e. hacking passwords, injecting packages) s

--
Marcel Stör
http://www.frightanic.com