[kismac] Re: Maps again (was Re: GPS problems (was Re: Maps?))

  • From: Ryan Verner <xfesty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:18:17 +1030

On 25/02/2004, at 3:46 AM, Kyle Christensen wrote:

well if you find such a software let me know =P oh and it needs to do area mapping... i guess this reduces the number of available programs to zero

mick

Have you thought about GPSdrive? It isn't a native macosx application, but it does run well on OS
X, and development is going forward for all sorts of different types of map formats.

It does? I compiled it the other day, and it segfaults upon start. Googling around indicates others have the same issue on OS X, the author replying "I have no idea why", and that's it.

Gpsdrive has kismet support via MySQL tables (waypoints mark found AP's); I trialled it last night on Linux and it worked reasonably effectively (apart from the fact gpsdrive's zoom functionality is totally braindead and only allows you 16X max on a map, and the most detailed map available for my area cover hundreds of kilometers wide - grr). One thing it didn't do was to map out the actual areas of the wireless network; only marked as a waypoint where they were first discovered.

Signature space for rent.