[kismac] Re: Maps again (was Re: GPS problems (was Re: Maps?))

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:06:53 +0100

(By the way, is there going to be better zoom functionality in future versions? Right now zooming, then moving scrollbars, repeat process is extremely tedious.)

I would prefer to see the map removed from the kismac program.

Not that I don't want the mapping functionality but I think we would have a more useful system if the mapping was handled by a separate program. Just as GPSd allows the GPS to be shared, an external GIS program could display multiple live data sets on the same map. For instance, while I'm war-driving I may want to see the located access points from kismac, other hams in the area from APRS, and a planned driving route. (A 3D map would be cool too)

What it will take is a standard for locating GIS data sources and the import/export protocols. I would be surprised if someone hasn't already done this but I haven't seen it yet.

well if you find such a software let me know =P oh and it needs to do area mapping... i guess this reduces the number of available programs to zero

mick