[kismac] Re: Compile KisMAC from source: no go?

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:30:34 +0200

Hi Roman,

> I have a question regarding building KisMAC from source. I downloaded
> the current source from the webpage but ran into two problems:
>
> 1. Project Builder complains the project file is saved with a newer
> version but as far as I know there is no newer version for 10.2.6 than
> December 2002 (+ August 2003 Update to gcc 3.3). The about box displays
> the following information: Version 2.1 (December 2002), PB IDE: 114.0,
> PB Core: 112.0, ToolSupport: 110.0.
> Unless the project file is saved with Xcode (don't know whether this is
> possible) but in that case that would be the end of the road for me
> anyway.

It is indeed an XCode Project (where XCode is only a cool name for a
newer project builder).

> 2. If I open the project despite the warning I have to adjust a few CC
> = ... and CPLUSPLUS = ... to point to gcc 3.3, otherwise the source
> won't compile. Having done that the source compiles but fails to link
> and gives an "undefined symbols" error. Namely:
>
> ld: Undefined symbols:
> WirelessEncrypt(__CFString const*, unsigned char (*) [13], unsigned
> long)
> MD5Init(MD5Context*)
> MD5Final(unsigned char*, MD5Context*)
> MD5Update(MD5Context*, unsigned char const*, unsigned)
> _RC4InitWithKey
> _setupIdentity
> _step
>
> Now, I am not exactly ignorant of these things, but not too experienced
> either. What puzzles me is that these symbols exist in RC4.mm and md5.c
> (apart from WirelessEncrypt, couldn't find that one, might be in one of
> the frameworks?) and these two files are compiled during the build and
> RC4.o and md5.o exist before the linking takes place. So I don't
> understand why he can't find these symbols although they should exist.

The WirelessEncrypt symbol is in the Apple80211 framework (under
PrivateFrameworks). i have no clue, why it does not find the other
symbols. i can only tell you to make sure that these files are included
in the kismac main executable, but i doubt that it is not included.

> I am sorry if I am asking questions here that just emphasize my
> ignorance, but any help or suggestion is appreciated.
>
> Perhaps a word about why I want to compile from source: I would like to
> try to make the software work with my gps receiver (perhaps you
> remember my last post) but if I can't even compile the software without
> modifications there is no point in trying.

I did not write back, because i did not know what it could be. i have a
pl2303 chipset myself and it works perfectly. if you come back to me on
my private mail, i can send you the driver that i use.

hope this helps

mick