[kibs] Finished: ZIMA BLUE AND OTHER STORIES by Alastair Reynolds

  • From: Mike <michael@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: KIBS Literary Treehouse <kibs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 22:50:30 +0100

* Mike wrote on 2018-07-01 12:49 +0100:

Started reading ZIMA BLUE AND OTHER STORIES by Alastair Reynolds today 2018-07-01.

Finished reading ZIMA BLUE AND OTHER STORIES by Alastair Reynolds today 2018-07-24.

I can't say I enjoyed this collection of short stories. None of them really stood out as great, I didn't *hate* the collection, or any of the individual stories, but I found it a struggle to keep reading. I didn't look forward to reading the next story as I finished one.

This fits my general experience of Reynolds's work. With the sole exception of HOUSE OF SUNS, I've never really enjoyed any of his work set outside the 'Revelation Space' universe. He's undeniably good at what he does, but there's just something missing which I can't seem to quite put my finger on.

--
  MIKE, KIBS Member #2
    "Waking in the night;

--
~ KIBS Literary Treehouse Book Club, Established 2016
~~~ To post, send mail to kibs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx