[karc] North East Ontario Regional Directors Report for March, 2012

  • From: Terry Barrett - VA3KLG <t-barrett@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kingston Amateur Radio Club <karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 13:19:20 -0500

North East Ontario Regional Directors Report for March, 2012
Hopefully by now you will have seen the bulletins on restructuring being
done in the Ontario ARES Field Organization. If you want more
information please check out the RAC web pages and look for recent
bulletins on the main page. Between reading the bulletin and our
committee's final report you can probably see why we needed to change
our field organization and the logic for coming up with the solution we did.

All this talk about EMCOMM's has gotten me thinking about Amateurs
providing communications in the event we are needed. All professional
First Responders and many Volunteer Organisations require their
volunteers to have taken and passed the Incident Management System (IMS)
course, IMS 100. This course was brought about after major fires in
California years ago. There was confusion between various organizations
regarding who was in charge, how do they communicate with each other and
the logistics of getting resources, both people and hardware to the
right place at the right time to name but a few.

As a result an IMS protocol was developed so that when various
organizations respond to an incident the chain of command, response
protocol and infrastructure is consistent. If responders are required
from different jurisdictions they also are operating from the same play
book. This is obviously a very simplified description of how it works
but should give you an idea of what it is all about.

So what does this have to do with me as an Amateur? I am now hearing
that the day may be close when anyone responding to an incident and does
not have training in INS will not be allowed to help. This would include
volunteers such as us.

The training is available from Emergency Management Ontario online and
is free. Once you read through the instruction manual you can take the
open book test online and when you pass you print out your certificate.
You should be able to complete the entire course in 4 to 5 hours. Here
is a link to EMO web site to get you going and I encourage you to check
out the entire site as there is a lot of good information there.

_http://www.emergencymanagementontario.ca/english/training/ims100/ims100.html_

I am hoping and encouraging all RAC ARES members across Ontario to
obtain this certification. It shows our commitment to being current and
professional in our approach to EMCOMM's.

I am still looking for a Deputy Director for the North East Region. Next
time I will outline the duties of the position. Give it a thought.

Rita and I are taking a little sabbatical for a while and will be
visiting family. I will have email but it could be sporadic at times so
please be patient if it takes a while for me to reply.

Finally I would like to thank all of you who joined or rejoined RAC in
the last month at whatever level you chose. Thanks.

If you have any questions or concerns please email me at _ve3xt@xxxxxx
<mailto:ve3xt@xxxxxx>_.

Bill VE3XT

North East Ontario Regional Director