[karc] John d'Esterre

  • From: William Mason <ve3nfubill@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:23:52 -0500

I see the death notice of John d'ESTERRE in today's Kingston newspaper
Many of you will remember the annual trips we made to Garden Island as a club
event. John used to let us use his loft to set up our equipment  and transmit
from there
Phil VE3GST, Tom Loyd, (with his bow and arrow to erect a long  wire)
and many others who I have forgotten names and call sighns
John d'ESTERRE let us have the run of his Garden Island for the day.
He (John) would come over by boat and pick us up at Kingston dock
and bring us back in the evening. He also made us home made bread with his
bread maker one afternoon. Phil will remember our trip around the island on
foot through brush and rock piles, we were very  tired and glad to get back to
where we started.
 Bernard Burdsall used to arrange these events each year
Garden Island is a very historic place and John was very generous with us.
There is a post office and old dock there were large boats used to dock. And
boats were built on the island.
Sorry to hear of his passing
VE3NFU Bill