[karc] Freelist reply function confusion

  • From: Steve Cutway <ve3kc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 14:53:50 -0500

Hello everyone:

It has been brought to my attention that there is some confusion
among subscribers concerning the way the Free List reply function works.

When a Free List is created, its default configuration is to send
message replies to everyone subscribed to it. That's how the KARC
Free List reply function worked until Sept. 24, 2011, when I changed
the way its reply function works in response to requests from a
significant number of subscribers. I posted a note describing the
change at that time.

Currently, when you 'reply' to a message you receive from the list
using the 'Reply' function in your e-mail program, your reply will be
sent to the original sender of the message only and will not be
distributed to everyone subscribed to the Free List. If  you want
everyone subscribed to the Free List to get your reply, use your
e-mail program's 'Reply All' function.

I think the catalyst for the change was the fact that most recent
list traffic has been of two types: informational notes requiring no
response and notes intended for individuals to respond to; such
clutter in their mailboxes and asked to be removed from the Free List
if that was the only solution. It wasn't.

I've had a suggestion that the reply function be changed back to the
way it used to be; ie., replies to messages are sent to everyone
subscribed to the Free List instead of being sent to just the
original sender of the message. What do others think?

Cheers & 73s,

Steve VE3KC
KARC List-Owner