[kanchilug] Fwd: ILUGC Monthly Meet (June 11, 2011)

  • From: Shrinivasan T <tshrinivasan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 17:56:44 +0530

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Shrinivasan T <tshrinivasan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 5:49 PM
Subject: ILUGC Monthly Meet (June 11, 2011)
To: ILUG-C <ilugc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

ILUGC Monthly Meet (June 11 th):-
==============================

Time : Sat June 11 , 2011 (3.00 - 5.30 PM)
Venue: Classroom No 8,
Areo Space Engineering,
Near Gajendra Circle,
IIT Madras.
Link for the Map: http://bit.ly/iit-aero

==============================

1.
Topic: Public/Private cryptography with the GNU Privacy Guard

Authentication and security have always been important aspects in
deploying electronic communication and storage solutions. With
electronic communication becoming more ubiquitous and data storage
increasingly becoming cloud based, the need to secure data when using
these services is of utmost importance, there are tools which enable
users to take control of security into their own hands.

I will talk about the need to secure our data, and describe the basic
concepts behind public/private key cryptography, signing data,
encrypting data, and using GnuPG along with key pairs to perform all
these functionalities. I will cover the concepts more than cover the
tool itself; I will point to better documentation on how to use the
tools. The hope is that the documentation should be much easier to
follow when all the jargon I talk about is clear.

Duration: 1 Hr

About Speaker:

Speaker: Kumar Appaiah is a Ph.D. student of Electrical and Computer
Engineering at the University of Texas at Austin, USA. Earlier, he was
a student of Electrical Engineering at IIT Madras, during which he
would regularly attend in ILUGC meetings and participate in some LUG
activities (like GNU Linux Vidyashram).

His primary interests in the FOSS world are free and open source tools
for design and implementation of digital signal processing and
communication systems. He occasionally contributes patches and
maintains packages for the Debian project.

He is the 5th debian developer from India.
Here is list of packages maintained by Kumar.
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=akumar%40ee.iitm.ac.in&comaint=yes

IRC Nick Name : kmap

==============================

2.

Party Time : Fedora Release Party

Topic: Introduction to Fedora 15 (Lovelock)

Fedora 15 (Lovelock) is released recently. Let us explore the new
features like Gnome 3.

Duration: 30 min

Speaker : Arun SAG [ sagarun AT gmail DOT com  ]

About Speaker:

Arun SAG am a Fedora Ambassador package maintainer for Fedora and EPEL.
He am known as zer0c00l in freenode and you can see him hanging around in
#fedora-india #fedora-devel #dgplug and #mukt.in

Here is the list of packages Arun maintains
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/users/packages/sagarun

[ Snacks and CoolDrinks will be provided, along with the Fedora 15 ISO.
Bring your Pen Drives. Dont Miss it ]

==============================

3.

Topic: Content Submission Software for spoken-tutorial.org

spoken-tutorial.org project needs a custom software to manage the video, script
and translations submissions, to manage the workflow, to make the process of
contribution more easy.
Let us discuss the requirements of this software.

Duration: 30 mins

Speaker : Thyagarajan Shanmugham.

About Speaker :

Thyagarajan is a foss follower,currently developing the software
for spoken-tutorial.org content submission and workflow management tool.

4.

Lightning Talk:

Duration : 15 min

Discussion on the review of our performance in ilugc,
discussion on chat script between the co-ordinator
with Thyagarajan, his past experience in meeting
the hurdles in promoting foss in ilugc.

5.

General group discussions on any queries, events etc.
CDs/DVDs can be shared on prior request.
Announce this to all your friends, social network sites etc.
All are welcome. Entry Free

--
Regards,
T.Shrinivasan