[k3] Fonts for Learning

  • From: Glovely@xxxxxxx
  • To: k3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 12:33:44 EDT

Hello Everyone!

I remember when I first started teaching (back in the dark ages before I  had
a computer) I would spend time each night writing words in dotted lines for
my students to trace the next day... it was a simple, time consuming task I
often undertook while unwinding in front of the television with my  husband...

NOW, I use a computer to prepare materials and fonts can do SO MUCH to help
me communicate with students and to help students communicate with me.

So, as the school year begins soon in much of North America, I updated my
list of good resources for FREE fonts on my website.

There are thousands of free fonts online, and many, many free font  websites.
A couple of cautions... most free font sites are riddled with pop-up  ads and
some free sites are not really free -- they try to put unwanted software  on
your computer, or provide you with fonts which only partially function until
you buy them.

There are tons of great fonts out there, some are good teaching  tools (trace
fonts which make dots for students to trace over to  practice writing), some
are good motivational tools (use Dr.  Seuss fonts when reading his books),
some are good thematic  tools (seasonal fonts, holiday fonts and content themed
fonts like  community-themed or history-themed fonts) and some are just too
cute or too fun  to ignore!

Go to _www.GailLovely.com_ (http://www.GailLovely.com) , select  the
"Resources" tab and scroll down to the "Newly Updated! A Collection of Font
Resources
for Educators".

Gail Lovely
independent educator