UNESCO> UNESCO Education News (8 December 2003)

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12Newsletters <k12newsletters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 09:21:12 -0600

K12NewsLetters - From Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

To: gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: edwebmaster@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: UNESCO Education News (8 December 2003)
Date: Mon,  8 Dec 2003 10:50:05 +0100 (CET)

News articles featured on UNESCO's Education Portal

FRANCAIS :
http://portal.unesco.org/education/ev.php?URL_ID=15200&URL_DO=DO_LANGUAGE_TOGGLE
&URL_SECTION=201&URL_OPTIONAL=10035&EXIT_URL_ID=15200&EXIT_URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&EXIT_
URL_SECTION=201

IN FOCUS _______________________

 >> Education at the World Summit on the Information Society

Equitable access to education is key in the building of knowledge societies.
This is one of UNESCO's key messages to the World Summit on the Information
Society, 9-12 December, in Geneva, Switzerland.

http://portal.unesco.org/education/ev.php?URL_ID=27214&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTI
ON=201

 >> United Nations Literacy Decade launch in Africa

The United Nations Literacy Decade (2003 - 2012) will be launched in Africa by
UNESCO on December 4, in Grand Baie, Mauritius. The ceremony will also feature
roundtable discussion, an exhibition and a website about literacy in Africa.

http://portal.unesco.org/education/ev.php?URL_ID=27082&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTI
ON=201

http://www.unesco.org/africa/litdecade

http://portal.unesco.org/education/ev.php?URL_ID=5000&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTIO
N=201

 >> World AIDS Day at UNESCO

The HIV/AIDS virus has killed 26 million people, half of them women, in 23
years. Sixty-eight million are expected to die by the year 2020. To mark World
AIDS Day on 1 December, UNESCO is organizing a forum entitled: "AIDS Year 24:
Mobilized on All Fronts", to be held at the Organization's Headquarters in
Paris

http://portal.unesco.org/education/ev.php?URL_ID=26812&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTI
ON=201

NEWS ____________________________________

 >> UNESCO and Germany sign Memorandum of Understanding in support of the
Global
Monitoring Report on Education for All

December 4, 2003 - The Director-General of UNESCO, Koïchiro Matsuura, and the
Ambassador, Permanent Delegate of Germany to UNESCO, Chair of the Executive
Board, Mr Hans-Heinrich Wrede, today signed a Memorandum of Understanding for
the purpose of supporting the annual Global Monitoring Report on Education for
All. The memorandum stipulates that the Federal Republic of Germany shall make
available to UNESCO, for the years 2003 to 2005, an amount of up to ? 900,000.

http://portal.unesco.org/education/ev.php?URL_ID=27174&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTI
ON=201

 >> Ministerial meeting in South Asia on Education for All

December 4, 2003 - Ministers and deputy ministers from South Asian countries
will meet today and tomorrow in Islamabad, Pakistan to discuss sub-regional
cooperation in education. Organized jointly by the Ministry of Education of
Pakistan and UNESCO, the meeting will discuss the conclusions of the EFA Global

Monitoring Report and formulate required political actions recommended at
national and sub-regional levels. It is also expected to issue a joint
declaration concerning sub-regional co-operation by the Education Ministers.
Pakistan's Federal Minister of Education, Hon. Ms. Zobaida Jalal, is chairing
the meeting.

http://portal.unesco.org/education/ev.php?URL_ID=27176&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTI
ON=201

 >> African Education Ministers to discuss the quality of education

December 3, 2003 - The Quest for Quality: Learning from the African Experience
is the theme of the biennial meeting of the Association for the Development in
Africa (ADEA) that opened yesterday in Grand Baie in Mauritius. The four-day
meeting will discuss the conclusion of a study on the challenges posed in
improving quality in the process of Education for All in Africa. "If we do not
pay sufficient attention to improving the quality of education, the movement in

favor of basic education for all could result in a terrible waste," according
the study.

http://portal.unesco.org/education/ev.php?URL_ID=27161&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTI
ON=201

 >> International Seminar on street children and HIV/AIDS opens in Bamako

December 2, 2003 - Street children have to fight for survival daily. In such
circumstances, it is difficult for them to become aware of the dangers of
catching HIV/AIDS. Who is going to worry about a hypothetical future illness
when the future is uncertain? This is the challenge faced by prevention
programmes and actions. Tomorrow opens in Bamako, Mali, a 3-day international
seminar on street children and HIV/AIDS.

http://portal.unesco.org/education/ev.php?URL_ID=27084&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTI
ON=201

 >> Promising EFA developments, says UNESCO's Director-General

December 1, 2003 - "I am convinced that EFA has risen higher on national
agendas
in recent years in many countries," said UNESCO's Director-General Koïchiro
Matsuura today at an information meeting with the representatives of the
Permanent Delegations to UNESCO. "Governments in many developing countries in
particular are addressing the EFA challenge more vigorously and the fruits of
their efforts will become more visible", he stated.

http://portal.unesco.org/education/ev.php?URL_ID=27081&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTI
ON=201

 >> HIV/AIDS threatens progress towards the Education for All goals, says
UNESCO's Director-General

December 1, 2003 - "The stark reality we face today is that all development
goals, including those set for the Education for All programme, are threatened
by HIV/AIDS," says UNESCO's Director-General Koïchiro Matsuura in a message on
the occasion of World AIDS Day. He adds that "even partial achievement of those

goals will be hollow if the future of whole societies is dimmed by the
continued
threat of HIV/AIDS and all its consequences."

http://portal.unesco.org/education/ev.php?URL_ID=27056&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTI
ON=201

JUST PUBLISHED __________________________________

 >> Catalogue of UNESCO's documents on education now online

This catalogue provides bibliographical references for over 800 documents
produced by the Education Sector since 1997. The titles in English, French and
Spanish are presented by theme. Each bibliographic description is completed by
an abstract of the document, a reference number and, where available, the
online
address where it can be downloaded in PDF format. The printed documents can be
obtained free of charge, depending on availability.

This catalogue and a large selection of the documents in full text will be
available on Mac/PC CD-ROM at the beginning of 2004.
Consult the online catalogue (in PDF)

http://www.unesco.org/education/catalogue2003.pdf

 >> Technology Education Guide

This guide is produced to help educators around the world implement technology
education - and to do so in their present settings, or with minimal investment.

The guide describes the purposes and goals of technology education and what it
takes to start such a programme. It includes a course content outline,
identifies
performance objectives and suggests activities and evaluation procedures. The
guide is prepared by the World Council of Associations for Technology Education

for UNESCO.

Download the Book in PDF
http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0013/001320/132001e.pdf

 >>Towards inclusive practices in secondary education

It is possible to integrate all students, regardless of their disability,
gender
and ethnicity, into secondary education. A new booklet by UNESCO features
examples from Chile, Hungary, Nepal, South Africa, Ukraine and the United
States
where inclusive practices at secondary level have been implemented
successfully.
The examples demonstrate that the success of inclusive practices depends on the

goodwill and commitment of the stakeholders involved. The booklet also shows
how
these practices can be generalized.

Download the Booklet

http://dit-fs1.hq.int.unesco.org/ulis/docs/0013/001322/132278e.pdf

FRANCAIS :
http://portal.unesco.org/education/ev.php?URL_ID=15200&URL_DO=DO_LANGUAGE_TOGGLE
&URL_SECTION=201&URL_OPTIONAL=10035&EXIT_URL_ID=15200&EXIT_URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&EXIT_
URL_SECTION=201

Stay up-to-date with the news on UNESCO's Education website by subscribing free

of charge to our news service, delivering new listings straight to your inbox

http://www.unesco.org/education/html/subscribe.shtml

MUSIC And COPYRIGHT LAW
How much do you understand about what you can download
and use in the classroom. Do you know what fair use is?
Find out the issues, ethics and procedures
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Music/Home_MUSIC.html

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

VENDORS REACH THE EDUCATION MARKET
FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
Find PREMIUM & FEATURED MERCHANT LISTING ALSO
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp

SERVICES
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/PS/Home_Products.html

Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html