  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12Newsletters <k12newsletters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 08:49:11 -0600

K12NewsLetters - From Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

Date:         Wed, 31 Dec 2003 15:57:22 -0500
From: Debra Gingerich <gingerich@xxxxxxx>
Subject:      Riptides, January 2004, *Reading in Mathematics and Science*
To: RIPTIDES@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

~~~~~~Riptides~~~~~~

http://lists.rbs.org/archives/riptides.html

Monthly mathematics and science education news
from Research for Better Schools

January 2004: Reading in Mathematics and Science

The No Child Left Behind Web site reminds us that "reading opens
the door to learning about math, history, science, literature,
geography, and much more." Reading skills are necessary for
students to succeed in learning other content areas and are an
important consideration for all teachers, including teachers of
mathematics and science.  This issue of Riptides offers
resources for teaching reading across the content areas, as well
as ways to integrate literature into the teaching of mathematics
and science, which can help children become excited about and
gain a deeper understanding of the mathematics and science they
are learning.

~~~~~~Table of Contents~~~~~~

 > General Reading Resources
 > Resources for Reading in Mathematics, Science, and Technology
 > Literature for Mathematics and Science
 > FREE from RBS: Helping Your Child Become a Reader

~~~~~~General Reading Resources~~~~~~

INTERNATIONAL READING ASSOCIATION
With its headquarters housed in Newark, DE, the International
Reading Association (IRA) is a professional membership
organization dedicated to promoting high levels of literacy for
all by improving the quality of reading instruction,
disseminating research and information about reading, and
encouraging the lifetime reading habit. IRA publishes three
journals: "The Reading Teacher," "Journal of Adolescent & Adult
Reading," and "Reading Today." Past articles from these
publications can be searched at
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/reading/. IRA's Web page also offers
resources on numerous topics, including beginning readers,
adolescent literacy, reading assessment, urban education
initiatives, and technology.
http://www.reading.org/index.html

NATIONAL READING PANEL
The National Reading Panel (NRP) was formed in 1997 when
Congress asked for a national panel to be convened to assess the
effectiveness of different approaches used to teach children to
read. For over two years, NRP reviewed research-based knowledge
on reading instruction and held open panel meetings in
Washington, DC, and regional meetings across the United States.
On April 13, 2000, the NRP submitted "The Report of the National
Reading Panel: Teaching Children to Read." The NRP Web site
provides several publications and materials from its findings.
http://www.nationalreadingpanel.org/default.htm

TEACHING READING THROUGH BALANCED LITERACY
This book, available from Phi Delta Kappa, supplies an
historical look at the research on literacy, focuses on the
reading wars, and provides an update on where research in the
field of emergent literacy has been moving. It presents methods
that both researchers and practitioners agree work in teaching
reading. It can be ordered online for $30.00 plus shipping and
handling.
http://www.pdkintl.org/products/nps024.htm

~~~~~~Resources for Reading in Mathematics, Science, and
Technology~~~~~~

MAY I TAKE YOUR ORDER, PLEASE?
This lesson plan from the Education World Web site explains how
to set up a sequencing reading lesson and offers guidelines to
teachers for adapting this lesson for all subjects. It can be
used for grades three through twelve and connects to several
national reading and technology standards.
http://www.education-world.com/a_lesson/03/lp301-05.shtml

READING AND WRITING IN THE CONTENT CLASSROOM
The article "Reading and Writing as Ways of Understanding in the
Content Classroom" from "Classroom Leadership" offers guidance
for secondary teachers on how to teach reading and writing in
their content area. It lists several things to do and avoid when
teaching reading and writing in a content area.
http://www.ascd.org/cms/objectlib/ascdframeset/index.cfm?publication=http://www.
ascd.org/publications/class_lead/200212/thomas.html

TEACHING READING IN MATHEMATICS
Published by Mid-continent Research for Education and Learning
(McREL) and the Association for Supervision and Curriculum
Development (ASCD), this publication addresses reading in
mathematics in terms of three interactive elements that affect
comprehension: the reader, the climate, and text features. This
is a supplement to McREL's "Teaching Reading in the Content
Areas" (
http://www.mcrel.org/topics/productDetail.asp?topicsID=8&productID=11).
It can be ordered from ASCD's Web site for $22.95.
http://shop.ascd.org/ProductDisplay.cfm?ProductID=302053

TEACHING READING IN SCIENCE
Another supplement to "Teaching Reading in the Content Areas,"
"Teaching Reading in Science" addresses both general reading
skills and those specific skills needed for readers of science
text.  This publication provides: (1) current research on
reading and learning in science, (2) ways to embed science
reading instruction within the natural context of teaching
science, (3) tips to help students construct meaning from
science textbooks, and (4) guidance in choosing strategies that
support students' in-depth understanding. It is available from
ASCD for $22.95.
http://shop.ascd.org/ProductDisplay.cfm?ProductID=302269

HELP FOR THE NEW TEACHER
Classroom management skills is the number one concern. Find
practical advice, How-To's, Survival Kits, ice breakers, and
online resources that integrate technology into the classroom.
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Teachers/newteacher.html>

~~~~~~Literature for Mathematics and Science~~~~~~

CAROL HURST'S CHILDREN'S LITERATURE SITE
This Web site consists of a collection of reviews of great books
for children; ideas of ways to use them in the classroom; and
collections of books and activities about particular subjects,
curriculum areas, themes, and professional topics. The
"Curriculum Areas" section of the Web site lists children's
books and activities, professional books, and Web links related
to numerous curriculum areas. Some of the mathematics and
science topics listed are physical science, earth science,
architecture, and computation.
http://www.carolhurst.com/subjects/curriculum.html

IMAGES
Improving Measurement and Geometry in Elementary Schools
(IMAGES) is an initiative of the Pennsylvania State Team of the
Mid-Atlantic Eisenhower Consortium for Mathematics and Science
Education at RBS. This Web site contains information and
resources that are designed to help teachers develop a deeper
understanding of geometry and measurement concepts and to assist
them in designing meaningful instruction for elementary
students. Among the resources that this Web site supplies is a
list of children's literature books that include mathematical
concepts.
http://images.rbs.org/resources/childrens_literature.html

LITERATURE IN HIGH SCHOOL MATH
This online issue of "ENC Focus" provides tips on how to bring
literature into the high school mathematics class. It includes
articles on launching mathematical investigations with
literature, using picture books in mathematics, animating
mathematics through reading, and more.
http://www.enc.org/features/focus/archive/mathlit/

USING CHILDREN'S LITERATURE IN MATH AND SCIENCE
This online issue of "ENC Focus" offers suggestions for
selecting and using children's literature in the mathematics and
science classroom. It includes articles on children's literature
across the curriculum and selecting children's literature.
Numerous resources listed from ENC's collection include teacher
resource materials and children's books for science and
mathematics.
http://www.enc.org/features/focus/archive/lit/

~~~~~~FREE from RBS: Helping Your Child Become a Reader~~~~~~

This booklet includes activities for families with children from
infancy through age six. Most of the activities make learning
experiences out of the everyday routines in which parents and
children participate. Most use materials that are found in the
home or local free library. The activities are designed to be
fun for both parents and children, and to help children gain the
skills they need to become readers.

To request this and other free mathematics, science, and
education resources, visit the "Free Publications" page of the
RBS Web site at http://www.rbs.org/mathsci/free_pubs/.

the body of the message:
    subscribe riptides FirstName LastName
or
    unsubscribe riptides

CONTRIBUTE: Send comments, questions, or interesting Web sites
or articles that you would like to share with other science and
mathematics educators to: editor@xxxxxxxx

Writer: Debra Gingerich

Research for Better Schools is a non-profit education
organization that has been providing services to teachers,
administrators, and policy makers in the Mid-Atlantic region of
Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, and
Pennsylvania since 1966. Our mission is to help students achieve
high standards by supporting improvement efforts in schools and
other education environments.

The Mid-Atlantic Eisenhower Regional Consortium for Mathematics
and Science Education @ RBS is one of ten Regional Eisenhower
Consortia (http://www.eisenhowernetwork.org) funded by the U.S.
Department of Education's Office of Elementary and Secondary
Education. The Consortia are assisted and extended by the
Eisenhower National Clearinghouse at Ohio State University
(http://www.enc.org/). The content of this product does not
necessarily reflect the views of the Department of Education or
any agency of the U.S. Government.

Research for Better Schools, Inc.
112 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102-1510
Phone: 215 568-6150
Fax: 215 568-7260
Web: http://www.rbs.org

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

VENDORS REACH THE EDUCATION MARKET
FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
Find PREMIUM & FEATURED MERCHANT LISTING ALSO
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp

SERVICES
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/PS/Home_Products.html

Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html