  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12Newsletters <k12newsletters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 09:15:00 -0500

K12NewsLetters - From Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

Date:         Fri, 2 Apr 2004 13:37:21 -0500
From: Debra Gingerich <gingerich@xxxxxxx>
Subject:      Riptides, April 2004 *Meeting the NCLB Challenge*
To: RIPTIDES@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

~~~~~~Riptides~~~~~~

http://lists.rbs.org/archives/riptides.html

Monthly mathematics and science education news
from Research for Better Schools

April 2004: Meeting the NCLB Challenge

~~~~~~Table of Contents~~~~~~

 > Meeting the NCLB Challenge: The Topic of RBS Currents
 > Seven Ways RBS Can Help You
 > Free from RBS: What to Know & Where to Go

~~~~~~Meeting the NCLB Challenge: The Topic of RBS Currents~~~~~~

The Spring/Summer issue of RBS "Currents" will be in the mail
soon. This issue of RBS "Currents" takes another look at the No
Child Left Behind (NCLB) legislation. The articles discuss some
of the challenges of NCLB and suggest resources for meeting
those challenges, including articles on special education and
English language learners.  Another article outlines the What
Works Clearinghouse and how it plans to provide information on
effective education programs.  Additional articles take a look
at some of the professional development programs sponsored by
RBS that are intended to offer tools to educators to help
students achieve academically. And as always, programs in the
mid-Atlantic region are spotlighted for their work to help
eliminate the achievement gap. Contact RBS for hard copies at
mathsci@xxxxxxx or read the online version at the URL below.
http://www.rbs.org/currents/0702/index.shtml

MEETING THE NCLB CHALLENGE
This article reflects the conversations of two panels at the RBS
Regional Conference in January 2004. Representatives of state
departments of education and urban school districts discussed
the challenges of NCLB, most specifically, meeting the
requirements of Adequate Yearly Progress and having highly
qualified teachers. This article also lists several of the
opportunities that NCLB offers and the ways that some states and
school districts have benefited from those opportunities.
http://www.rbs.org/currents/0702/meeting_nclb_challenge.shtml

THE SPECIAL EDUCATION CHALLENGE
NCLB requires that all students, including those with
disabilities, reach proficiency in mathematics and reading by
2013-14. Educators, both inside and outside of special
education, must face the challenge of what it takes for students
with unique educational needs to reach proficient standards.
This article looks at some of the challenges in special
education, reflects on progress that has already been made, and
offers suggestions and resources for helping students with
disabilities achieve high learning standards.
http://www.rbs.org/currents/0702/special_ed_challenge.shtml

THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS CHALLENGE
One of the many groups to be impacted by NCLB is the community
of students whose first language is not English. English
Language Learners (ELLs) are required to meet all the same
requirements as their fellow students, but in addition they must
gain proficiency in English. Educators face distinct challenges
under this legislation in helping ELLs become proficient in
English as well as mathematics and reading. This article
outlines the requirements for ELLs under NCLB and describes two
programs that have achieved some success in helping ELLs achieve
academically.
http://www.rbs.org/currents/0702/english_challenge.shtml

IDENTIFYING WHAT WORKS IN EDUCATION
Now more than ever, educators are pressed to implement research-
based practices that enhance student learning. To help educators
identify these practices, the federal government has partnered
with the American Institutes for Research, the Campbell
Collaboration, and others to create the What Works Clearinghouse
(WWC), an entity charged with evaluating the evidence of
effectiveness presented in studies on various educational
topics. This article outlines the aims of the WWC, its first
year activities, and its future plans.
http://www.rbs.org/currents/0702/identifying_what_works.shtml

DCPS PROGRAM RAISES MATHEMATICS ACHIEVEMENT AMONG ELEMENTARY STUDENTS
A program in the District of Columbia Public Schools called
PRIME DC (Parents Reinforcing Instruction for Mathematics
Education) has found some success in helping ELL students
increase their performance in mathematics. This article
describes PRIME DC, including the two mathematics programs being
used, the parent involvement component, and the technical
assistance that it provides.
http://www.rbs.org/currents/0702/dcps_program.shtml

CONTINUING TO LEARN FROM TIMSS
This article continues RBS' work since 1996 of disseminating
TIMSS research through conferences, workshops, presentations,
articles, and two e-mail lists. Most recently, RBS has been
providing professional development using the TIMSS 1999 Video
Study that was released in 2003. The study examines classroom
practices through in-depth analysis of videotapes of 638 eighth
grade mathematics lessons. The article explains the usefulness
of this study and the public release videos
(http://www.rbs.org/catalog/pubs/pd57.shtml) that were made
available with it and summarizes the activities RBS has
organized to study these videos.
http://www.rbs.org/currents/0702/timss.shtml

IMAGES
Data from TIMSS, NAEP, and PSSA (PA) have shown that geometry
and measurement are two areas in mathematics in which students
(and teachers) struggle and have misunderstandings. With this in
mind, in 2001 the Mid-Atlantic Consortium's Pennsylvania State
Team put its resources behind developing a multifaceted program
for teachers to help improve the teaching and learning of
geometry and measurement. IMAGES (Improving Measurement and
Geometry in Elementary Schools), developed to provide content
and resources for kindergarten through eighth grade elementary
teachers, is outlined in this article.
http://www.rbs.org/currents/0702/images.shtml

FORMATIVE ASSESSMENT IN LESSON STUDY
This article discusses the usefulness of lesson study, a unique
form of professional development that is teacher-led and
collaborative. Lesson study's emphasis on classroom lesson
observation helps teachers learn to understand children's
thinking and to collect useful data and pose questions that
stimulate student learning. The article starts making the
important link between lesson observation in lesson study and
the role of formative assessment in everyday teaching.
http://www.rbs.org/currents/0702/lesson_study.shtml

~~~~~~Seven Ways RBS Can Help You~~~~~~

Did you know that RBS does a lot more than disseminate useful
information? RBS has worked with a wide range of clients over
the years, representing all levels of the education system as
well as business and community groups. The staff is dedicated to
and well experienced in providing the array of services that
schools, districts, and states need to help their students reach
proficient or higher learning standards:
1. technical assistance in improvement efforts
2. professional development that is required for the successful
implementation of more effective curricula, technologies, or
instruction
3. evaluation of improvement efforts
4. curriculum implementation and assessment, especially in
mathematics and science
5. effective communication with all members of the school
community
6. event planning and support
7. research-based publications for education improvement.

For more information about any of these services, please contact
RBS by phone at 215-568-6150 or e-mail at mathsci@xxxxxxxx
http://www.rbs.org/index.shtml

~~~~~~FREE from RBS: What to Know & Where to Go: Parents' Guide to No Child
Left
Behind~~~~~~

This report, from the U.S. Department of Education, provides an
overview of NCLB. It answers many of the questions that parents
have regarding accountability, testing, reading, scientifically
based research, teachers, safer schools, and school choice.

To request this and other free mathematics, science, and
education resources, visit the "Free Publications" page of the
RBS Web site at http://www.rbs.org/mathsci/free_pubs/.

INTERACT WITH ~~~Riptides~~~

FORWARD it to a friend! Archives of past issues are also
available online at http://lists.rbs.org/archives/riptides.html.
To view to most recent issue of Riptides, please select June
2002, then select Back to the main RIPTIDES page. All archives
will then appear.

SUBSCRIBE or UNSUBSCRIBE: Send an e-mail to
listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with one of the following lines only in
the body of the message:
    subscribe riptides FirstName LastName
or
    unsubscribe riptides

CONTRIBUTE: Send comments, questions, or interesting Web sites
or articles that you would like to share with other science and
mathematics educators to: editor@xxxxxxxx

Writer: Debra Gingerich

Research for Better Schools is a nonprofit education
organization that has been providing services to teachers,
administrators, and policymakers in the mid-Atlantic region of
Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, and
Pennsylvania since 1966. Our mission is to help students achieve
high standards by supporting improvement efforts in schools and
other education environments.

The Mid-Atlantic Eisenhower Regional Consortium for Mathematics
and Science Education @ RBS is one of ten Regional Eisenhower
Consortia (http://www.eisenhowernetwork.org) funded by the U.S.
Department of Education's Office of Elementary and Secondary
Education. The Consortia are assisted and extended by the
Eisenhower National Clearinghouse at Ohio State University
(http://www.enc.org/). The content of this product does not
necessarily reflect the views of the Department of Education or
any agency of the U.S. Government.

Research for Better Schools, Inc.
112 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102-1510
Phone: 215-568-6150
Fax: 215-568-7260
Web: http://www.rbs.org

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

VENDORS REACH THE EDUCATION MARKET
FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
Find PREMIUM & FEATURED MERCHANT LISTING ALSO
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp

SERVICES
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/PS/Home_Products.html

Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html