[k-alumni-wg] Meeting Agenda - Draft

  • From: Tomasz <tomasz2013@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: k-alumni-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 15:38:32 +0100

Hi guys, below please find the agenda which I will send out by the evening - to all graduates. If you have any change suggestions, let me know, Tomek

Dear everyone,

please find below the agenda and exact timings for the upcoming pre-general assembly of kanthari (IISE) alumni - where important decisions about our network will be made.

*PRE-GENERAL ASSEMBLY AGENDA
*Date: Thursday, 17th December 2015
Means: Skype 'kanthari_plus' (people who cannot access use Skype can listen to the audio streaming through livestream <http://www.kanthariplus.org/events/>)
Timings:
6.30am (California, USA) – Tijana Kaitovic, David Sexton
11.30am (Caera, Brazil) – Anja Pfaffenzeller
2:30pm GMT (Ghana/Gambia) – Alieu Jaiteh, Sahr Yillia, Saa?
3.30pm (Nigeria/Germany) – Jessica Schroeder, Tomek Kozakiewicz, Sristi KC
4.30pm (Zimbabwe) – Chipo Chikomo
5.30pm (Uganda/Kenya/Saudi Arabia) – Ojok Simon, Aero Lilian Olok, Monicah Kaguithia, Erick Matsanza, Hussni Bugis
8.00pm (India) – Graham Varley
8.15pm (Nepal) – Sarita Lamichhane
9.30pm (Thailand) – Yoshimi Horiuchi
10.30pm (Philipines) – Lorena Acula*

Agenda Summary:
*1. _Report about what the working group has achieved so far_
_2. _Final Name of network (kanthari global network, kanthari alumni network, kanthari changemakers network)
____3. _Advantages/Disadvantages of Registration in Poland and Germany
___4. _Means of communication_ (email, whatsapp, facebook, skype, other?)
5. _Way forward - Plan for coming 3 months

_The pre-general assembly will take place on Skype. To take part - if you have not done so already - please reply to this email. Please also make sure "kanthari_plus" is in your Skype contacts and that know how to mute/unmute the microphone, so that the meeting can be as enjoyable as possible for everyone involved!

For those of us who cannot join us on Skype, they will be able to listen to the conversation through Livestream which will be available under the link http://www.kanthariplus.org/events/ . *

*Looking forward to speaking to you on Thursday,

Anja, Tijana, Yoshi, Jessica, Samuel, David and Tomek*
**alumni working group:

Detailed agenda below:
* 1. _Report about what the working group has achieved so far_
- WEB PORTAL: Team of 5 volunteer developers from Germany, Serbia, US and India started their work on the web portal (so far 3 meetings done and layout prepared by designer in InVisio Boostrap)
- REGISTRATION: Comparison of legal framework for registration in Germany and Poland - now we need to decide where to register!?
- DRAFT CONSTITUTION prepared along with 5 PEER SUPPORT sessions
- Research on alternative means of communication to skype (teleconferencing systems)
- difficulties: last 2 months it is very difficult to maintain commitment of WG members/alumni which results in slowing down the process
- round of comments

2. _Final Name of network_
- For the purpose of the created web portal and legal registration - we need to finalize the name. 3 names have received the biggest support so far:
*kanthari global network* - advantage: this name underlines our global character, disadvantage: can be confused with kanthari itself
*kanthari alumni network* - advantage: this name explains exactly who we are in a clear way, diadvantage: can be viewed as an organization aimed to support kanthari /also it will make it very difficult to have non-kanthari members, if we decide to expand in the future
*kanthari changemakers network* - advantage: this name explains clearly who we are, disadvantage: it is quite long
- Which name do we choose finally?
- round of comments

3. _Advantages/Disadvantages of Registration in Poland and Germany_
OVERALL SCORE:
- GERMANY: 38 points
- POLAND: 38 points

/1. How do you rate the opportunities to access donors and resources in your country? 1 (easy) - 10 (difficult), please justify supportingevidence in 2 sentences:
Germany: 8 / Poland 6
Both Poland and Germany are in the European Union and make it possible to apply for EU funding schemes. However Germany is a more developed economy with quite a few foundations and funding opportunities for development projects, also outside of Germany (People are quite socially conscious to support projects in Africa and Asia). However that all means that the competition for funds is higher, as there are many other organizations working with marginalized groups in Africa, Asia etc.

2.How easy it is for alumni from around the world to visit your country in terms of distance, visa, and flights? 1 (easy) - 10 (difficult), please justify supporting evidence in 2 sentences:
Germany: 6 / Poland: 5
There is not much difference in terms of access for African and Asian alumni to visit Poland and Germany as both are EU Schengen countries. There might be slightly better and cheaper flight connections to Germany though.

3. What are the costs involved in running a Foundation in Poland or Association in Germany? (Legal, registry. renewal, auditing fees) one time registration/legal expenses: 1 (expensive costs) - 10 (affordable costs), please justify supporting evidence in 2 sentences:
Poland: 7 / Germany: 6 (Tomek: just an estimation as I was not sure how much the German accounting fees are)
Poland: Registration: (including certified translations of 2 pages per member and shipping of the original documents) Approx. 400 USD plus 250 USD foundation establishment fund which can be later used for foundation activities
Germany: Costs for Public notary, registering and consultation of a lawyer may amount to maximum 500 €, but likely less recurring yearly expenses (license renewal, auditing etc): no license renewal fee, no external auditing requirement by the law, probably biggest cost will be monthly and annual preparation of accounts
Poland: 60 Euro per month – discounted accounting costs
Germany: ?

4. How many kanthari graduates are there? 1 (no graduates) - 10 (many graduates)
Poland: 6 / Germany: 4
Poland: working group member Tomek Kozakiewicz (2013 - working group member), Joanna Zdobylak (2010), Malwina Gan (2015)
Germany: working group members Jessica Schroeder (2009), Anja Pfaffenzeller (2011)

5) Is it possible to have foreigners in the board or not - Yes / No - If yes what are the conditions they need to meet in 2 sentences” - 1(impossible) - 10 (very easy)
Poland/Germany: 7 (Tomek: I assume it is very similar)
For Germany it is written in the Internet that foreigners can be also board members, but a lawyer needs to be consulted. In case of Poland it is possible – however having foreigners living outside of Europe may prove impractical as the board is the legal representative of organization and as such must sign any important document. The Polish lawyer suggests that the key persons in the board (executive committe: president, vicepresident, treasurer, secretary) - should be from that country (for example 2 from the country, 1 neighbour, 1 outside Europe).

6) How many decisions need to be made with physical/paper signatures from the board? 1(all decisions with paper signatures) - 10 (all decisions online)
Poland/Germany: 7 (Assuming that registration signatures can be done by post in Germany)
Any legally binding decisions and financial transactions in Poland and Germany must be done with physical signatures from the board.
With regards to registration:
Poland: A foundation could be registered by at least one Polish citizen who would then withdraw from the foundation and hand over the power to the governing body stipulated by the constitution
Germany: An association could be registered only with physical signatures by at least 7 founding members, most of whom can be non-European residents (usually done in person, but perhaps could be done by post)

7) Is a physical annual meeting of its (board) members required? Yes /No
An annual meeting is required but can be done online in both cases
- round of comments/

4. _Means of communication_ (email, whatsapp, facebook, skype, other?)
- What do we like/don't like about how the working group communicates with me so far?
- How do we organize a general assembly when we decide to register a legal organization? (what works/what not)
- Request from the working group with regards to Whatsapp group: please post only short and relevant messages
- round of comments

5. _Way forward - Plan for coming 3 months_
A plan will be sent out in the detailed agenda some days before the pre-general assembly
- final round of comments

Please let us know if you want to participate in the Pre-General Assembly.

Best regards from the alumni working group

Anja, Tijana, Yoshi, Jessica, Samuel, David and Tomek

--
A roadmovie through Africa witnessing social change! "KANTHARI: change from within" winner of Audience Award at the International Film Festival HumanDOc in Warsaw, Poland. Watch trailer here <http://kantharichangefromwithin.com/>.

Tomasz Kozakiewicz
Fundacja SolidarityFilmDoc
kanthari plus initiator

tomasz2013@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype id: drkoziello / kanthari_plus
Mobile (Poland): +48 500478596
Mobile (India): +91 8129861059
www.kantharichangefromwithin.com (the film)
www.fb.com/kantharichangefromwithin
www.kanthariplus.org (short films)
www.fb.com/kanthariplus

kanthari plus - initiating a community of ethical social changemakers from marginalized communities.