[JYO] Landmark Aviation Sale

  • From: "Dennis Boykin" <boykin_dennis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jyo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 08:44:23 -0400

Some folks seem to be upset about Dubai Aerospace's investment in our
industry. I won't get into whether foreign investment is good or bad;
that's a whole can of worms waaaaay outside the boundaries of this
forum.

What I will do, however, is tell you that when I was quoted as saying
'It's no big deal' in Leesburg Today, that's not quite all I said. The
actual statement, which the reporter paraphrased (relatively correctly)
was " It's no big deal, because they're going to sell off the FBO chain
immediately".

Here's the official statement from their website: ""As part of the
acquisition, DAE will divest the Landmark Aviation Airport Services
business, which includes 33 fixed base operations, an Aircraft Sales,
Charter & Management business, and MRO operations associated with the
FBO sites. The operations of Landmark Aviation Airport Services and the
sale process will be overseen by an independent board of trustees made
up of former Secretary of Defense James Schlesinger, former Senator Bob
Kerrey and former Pentagon Comptroller Dov Zakheim. The sale process
will be conducted by Merrill Lynch.""
And if you're wondering about the high-powered oversight, the reason the
FBO's have to be sold off has something to do with the fact that at many
airports, Landmark is the security control for who gets on the ramp.

As for Landmark customers at JYO that are worried, relax - we've been
down this road before, and it'll be OK. The big hangar has had several
names on it, including American Beechcraft, Piedmont Hawthorne, and now
Landmark. There's probably enough holes drilled in the wall that the new
sign will hang quite nicely without the use of major power tools.

We (the Airport Commission) are looking forward to working with the new
company, and there are several very good folks at Landmark Leesburg who
I know will stay there and work to improve upon their already good
service.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis B. Boykin IV
Chairman
Leesburg Executive Airport Commission
(703) 346-4857

- - -
List admin: FlyboyEd@xxxxxxx Web: www.leesburgpilots.com Previously sent
the quotes) in the Subject line of the email.  Tell your Leesburg Flying
friends to subscribe by sending an e-mail to: jyo-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and put
"subscribe" (without the quotes) in the Subject line of the email.