[JYO] Fwd: Words from Jim Haynes...

  • From: FlyboyEd@xxxxxxx
  • To: jyo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:01:03 EDT

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: PaulJYO@xxxxxxx
  • To: FlyboyEd@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 09:43:09 EDT

Hello,

Jim makes a lot of excellent points...

I'm for commercial development. But I think residential development isn't
realistic.

I don't see why there would be an objection to a private developer creating
additional airport facilities to host business aviation. It may be the only
way  for the town to see the adjacent properties made available for aviation
use. I  believe that allowing timely development of properties given access to
the airport would allow the airport to grow faster than the town seems able to
accomplish. This would allow an expansion of the airport and facilities at no
 cost to the town and provide faster benefit to the community.

Such development might even lead to competitive and reasonable fuel  prices
and options for more flexibility in hanger arrangements and operations  than is
currently available through the town.

All this could be accomplished without any costs to the town... and done
right could have the developer helping pay for some improvements.

Jim does make a few mistakes on the noise issue I think:

>Noise and safety are two other issues that are being  misrepresented.
...[edited]...
>Lawn mowers in Crosstrail will make more noise than airplanes.
>Noise contours compiled by the FAA confirm this.

Lawn mowers may make more noise, but people view and perceive aircraft  noise
differently and will complain more often even if the aircraft are quieter
than the lawn mowers. In addition people don't run lawn mowers as often as
planes will be overhead.

Housing anywhere near the airport WILL create noise complaints and endless
future attempts to limit, restrict, or stop operations at the airport. To
suggest otherwise ignores the wealth of history on this issue. No matter what
you
do to the residential contracts, covenants,  notifications, and noise
insulation there WILL be complains from people who move in.

>As pilots you know that you do not fly inside the Greenway on a  downwind to
35.
>Your downwind leg is west of the Greenway.

The typical required IFR departure off 35 is an immediate 180 degree right
turn within 1 mile of the runway and direct to STILL intersection. This puts
departure aircraft directly over the development and east of the Greenway.

Pattern wise this is not true. When I'm in the typical small GA aircraft I
usually fly inside the Greenway on downwind for 35 whenever possible. The wide
patterns typically taught and flown at JYO aren't safe and goes against my
flight training to remain within engine out distances of the runway. Properly
trained small aircraft pilots will be east of the Greenway for all or most of
the downwind to 35.

>An occasional plane may fly over the airport to the downwind for 17,  but
this is rare and not the standard pattern.
>These planes would be above pattern altitude and below the Class B  airspace.

I agree that it is rare, but suggesting that they are a meaningful amount
above the pattern altitude isn't realistic. I don't the 300 feel left between
pattern altitude and the Class B has any meaningful affect on any of the issues
 at hand.

In my typical opposite side entry at leesburg puts me in an upwind to 17 at
pattern altitude -- directly over your planned development.

I'm for commercial development. But I think residential development isn't
realistic.

--Paul

-------------------------

Every problem and situation has several sides and several potential
solutions.  Key to any situation is having the correct information and the
real
facts.  I respectfully ask that you consider the following in your
consideration
of the Crosstrail property adjacent to JYO:

The Leesburg  Airport has a few problems - the largest of which is a huge
financial drain on  the Town of Leesburg.  The airport lost $537,000 in 2005
which was an  increase from $501,000 in 2004.  The Town Council is concerned
about
 this.  Some have asked me how this loss could be turned into a profit, or
at into least a breakeven situation.  Their suggestion was that perhaps
increasing the personal property tax on airplanes to the same tax rate for farm
 and
construction equipment, etc., charging landing fees and other user charges
might be a solution.  I said I disagreed.  My solution is  Crosstrail.

Crosstrail will make it possible for companies that own  business jets to
locate in the Class A office space that the Peterson Company is  planning to
develop.  Their executives and employees can live in  Crosstrail, shop in
Crosstrail, and even walk or bike to work, eat in fine  restaurants, and enjoy
entertainment.  Think Reston Town Center or  Petersonâs Fair Lakes
development.
Neither of these communities is near an  airport, which market research shows
will
be a strong selling point to major  corporations.  These are the companies
that own and operate business  jets.  The Peterson Company has a Gulfstream.

Two hundred or even  300 small airplanes will never make the Leesburg Airport
profitable.  A few  business jets will.  My business has given me the
opportunity to work with  almost every major general aviation airport in the US
and
many smaller  ones.  I understand what works and what does not.  I have been
following the Crosstrail development for over a year and have studied it
carefully.  I am convinced it will be the biggest boost to the airport  since I
negotiated the deal to bring the Flight Service Station to the airport  the
early
1980s.  The Flight Service Station will be gone in  February.

The Peterson Companies does not want to see the airport  stagnate or close as
some have suggested.  The airport is a key part of  their marketing plan.
Bringing major companies to our community will make  the Leesburg Airport a
center for business aviation.  No longer will we  have to wait 16 years for
life-saving improvements like a glide slope and a  control tower.

Through the fence operations can be very successful if  managed correctly.  I
have seen it work very well and not work well.   I can say the same for
airport management.

Noise and safety are two other  issues that are being misrepresented.  As
pilots you know that you do not  fly inside the Greenway on a downwind to 35.
Your downwind leg is west of  the Greenway.  An occasional plane may fly over
the airport to the downwind  for 17, but this is rare and not the standard
pattern.  These planes would  be above pattern altitude and below the Class B
airspace.  You also know  that an off-airport landing or accident is extremely
rare.  This has never  happened on the Crosstrail property, at least in the
last
30 years that I can  attest to.  Lawn mowers in Crosstrail will make more noise
than  airplanes.  Noise contours compiled by the FAA confirm this.

I urge  everyone who has any interest in the Leesburg Airport to spend the
time to study  the facts as I have done.  You are welcome to disagree with me,
but please  do so with knowledge and not just with emotion and conjecture.

Finally a  personal note - I spent 12 years of my life managing and
developing the Leesburg  Airport on a full-time basis.  I did it 24/7.  It was
my only
job.  I poured hundreds of thousands of dollars of my own money  transforming
the airport from a bankrupt recreational airfield into an airport  capable of
handling business jets.  This airport is in my blood.  No  one wants it to
succeed more than I do.  I will do everything I can to  ensure success.

Jim Haynes
_jhaynes@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:jhaynes@xxxxxxxxxxx)

(703)  777-4142

GIF image