[JA] Re: Re McAffee/Norton and Juno

  • From: jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:35:50 -0500

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:58:35 -0800 Babette C Bloch <bvcb@xxxxxxxx>
writes:

>CCG >Can some one tell me if Norton AntiVirus checks incoming
> > email in Juno? What about outgoing?  What about McAfee?

BCB> Neither will scan Juno Email as it comes in - they only work on
> Outlookexpress, etc.  I do use Norton Internet Security however,

Correct.  Today I received a message from a stranger about the benefits
of walking, with attachment nsay.pif which I suspected was a virus.  I
could not know for sure, however, until I tried to Save it.  NAV kicked
in and accused it of containing the W32.magistr.39921@mm virus.  It
wouldn't have been problem to me even without a virus scanner, since I
never open unsolicited attachments.  I forwarded it to
spamdesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in case it might help them.

BCB> When you have selected all the spam, hit the "delete" key,
> and they are sent to the delete box without opening them.

BCB> Not really all that much trouble, and I've stayed virus free since
using it.

Not a big surprise, since this method only works against HTML viruses,
which are much rarer in mail anyway than attachment viruses.  Easy
protection against small danger.