[JA] Problems connecting to Juno

  • From: "Rick Ekblaw" <ekblaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:40:12 GMT

Given that she's having intermittent problems connecting to the AT&T e-mail
account as well as Juno, it's unlikely that the problem is with the Juno 5
software.  Re-installing with Juno 5.49 is unlikely to be an "upgrade", she's
probably at the 5.49 level already (check Help - About Juno to see the full
version... I'm running Juno 4, and I get "Juno 4.0 (Build 11)", so I'm running
Juno 4.11).

Other areas where the problem could lie:

- The connection between the computer and the DSL modem (probably Ethernet, but
some use USB connections).  If this is the problem point, you should see issues
with regular web browsing as well as e-mail... everything that uses the
Internet should experience intermittent problems in this case.  I run with a
Linksys "router" between my computer and cable modem, lots of people do this to
provide wireless access in their home.  So in my case the router could be a
problem point, too, and when it acts up I can usually fix it by power cycling
the router.

- The DSL modem.  Like my router, some DSL modem issues can be "fixed" by power
cycling the modem.  Again, problems here should show up with all Internet
activities.

- The wire between the DSL modem and the wall port, or the wiring inside the
house up to the demarcation box (telephone company box).  To diagnose these
problems, you need specialized equipment, so you need to bring in a phone
company technician, and such house calls are not cheap.  Problems here should
show on all Internet activities.

- The phone company wiring or DSL service issues.  Your DSL provider can
usually provide a "line test" for you from their office without having to send
out a technician.  Many providers will do the "line test" for free if you
complain that your DSL service "seems to be running slow", and if they find a
problem with their service or wiring they will usually fix it for free, too.
Problems here should show on all Internet activities.

- I've saved what I consider the "most likely" cause of the problems for last,
which is some software problem.  These can be a bear to diagnose, the first
thing I'd do is run a program like Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware to see if you've
got any malware infections and try to purge them out.  If your Windows system
is doing a lot of paging (running out of available RAM), you can see all kinds
of "odd" problems (programs appear to "hang" for a while, then recover, often
showing "Not Responding" in the title bar).  This is where it's handy to have
your local "High School Geek Neighbor" who knows computers inside and out to
check out the computer.

Rick Ekblaw