[JA] Re: Off Topic - Deleted files

  • From: Jim Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 23:07:25 -0500

Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:23:24 -0800 charles meyer <chasm@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> I didn't realize that peripherals had files which were part of
> your registry so I deleted all my Panasonic laser printer
> files on my hard because I hadn't used it in 6 years.

You're supposed to run the uninstaller.  Anyone who deletes files that
are part of a printer or other program can run into this kind of trouble.
 That's why there is an uninstall program.

> I now know you can't delete any files concerning peripherals unless
they're plain text.

To be precise, the registry does not contain the file in question, but
contains a reference to it.

> The Windows registry System.INI files refers to this device file but
the device file no longer exists.

Such entries in System.ini can be deactivated with MSCONFIG, or deleted
with REGEDIT or with a text editor.  Regedit is somewhat dangerous, and
even editing System.ini can bring bad results, so you're better off
deactivating rather than killing it, at least until you know exactly what
thing needs killing.

> Then at the bottom of the page appears C:\KXP6X00\SUMOVMI.386
> Press any key to continue

> I can then use all my programs, WordPerfect, Word, Excel, Netscape
Messenger and I can send and receive e-mail messages.

> But it won't let me print to my HP III laser jet printer. If I try I
get the error message - specific backup folder no longer exists.

You can probably get it working again by uninstalling the printer you
still have (this time using the uninstaller) and reinstalling it.  If
not, then try reinstalling and uninstalling the printer you no longer
have.

> Someone said if I re-load all the old Panasonic laser printer files
> from the 3 floppies that it may create a 2nd registry and create
> even more problems than I have now.

Possibly.  I have had good experiences with this particular method of
procedure, reinstalling in the correct manner and then uninstalling in
the correct manner.  Perhaps that should be, I have had good luck that
way.

> I know nothing about creating or modifying the registry.

Directly modifying Registry has not brought such happy results for me.  I
wrecked a couple computers with Regedit before getting the hang of it.  I
didn't try unless I had the Windoze installation disks.  Once, a full
erase and reinstallation of the whole HD was the only way it got working
again.  Be cautious with Regedit.

> So, I looked on the floppies and copied every file with a name
> similar to "SUMOVMI" back on to the hard drive where the old files
were.
> I couldn't find the file SUMOVMI.386 anywhere on the 3 floppies.

No help, because many files do not exist as files on the installation
set, but instead are created during the installation process.  That's why
you have to follow the installation process and the uninstallation
process.