[JA] Re: Off Topic - Blank DVDs

  • From: "thepccat@xxxxxxxx" <thepccat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:23:12 GMT

Off the top I have long been suspicious of "off brand" media.

It seems important not only to have the right "brand" but the proper "me=
dia code" as most brands will use whatever media they can get for cheap =
at a given time, and some are poorer than others. There is some software=
 which can be used which sometimes finds a "media code" which can [hopef=
ully] be used to determine reliability, etc.

I like the site you mention. It seems more agnostic with the brands than=
 others I have seen, not just the "super kinds" you can only get online,=
 but stuff in stores. The testing methodology is always suspect as there=
 is a lot to this stuff you cannot get easily. However something is bett=
er than nothing. =

It seems hard, because all this takes time, but if one wants high reliab=
ility one can always burn two copies of your data. =

All that being said, I recommend you look at =

<http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?dvdmediasearch=3Dgq&dvdmediadvdridsea=
rch=3D&type=3D11&size=3DAll&dvdburnspeed=3DAll&order=3DName&hits=3D50&se=
arch=3DSearch+or+List+Media> =

which is a search at the site for GQ. What do YOU think?

Just a quick look at the first page shows GQ is not bad at all, given th=
e proper media code [which of course even in ideal conditions you cannot=
 tell till after you buy a batch]. It seems the site ratings do not go o=
ver "good" so that is to be considered high praise.

Gold versus silver: I am not aware of real data showing silver is not re=
liable to 10+ years whereas gold is. It is not only the color but the ac=
tual metal which is important. In theory gold corrodes less than silver,=
 but in practice... Are the Maxells really gold or just called gold, and=
 where do you buy them?

thepccat

-- charles meyer <chasm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had experience with the GQ blank DVDs sold at =
=

Fry's or the gold Ativas DVDs sold at Office Depot?

I've had very food luck with gold Maxells.

I understand SONY's are best and TDKs are reliable.

I looked at this site - http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia - but didn't =

see any ratings for GQ or Ativas.

Have others had good luck with other brands?

Thanks so much,

Charles.