[JA] Re: "No Tags" addresss

  • From: "George Lunt" <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:06:34 -0700

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 Babette asked:

>Will someone remind me how the "No Tags" address works.

>I was under the impression that it contained a Juno.com address (because
>if you send a messages to another Juno address, it doesn't get the
>tagline?)

>However, scanning my address book I realized that it goes to a non-Juno
>address.  So, what keeps the tag lines at bay?

That's correct...  with a few exceptions.  But "back in the day" of listserv
robots a common format for sending a Request to sub, unsub, get (a file,
webpage, image) etc, included the word Request...  such as
sub-request@listserv or unsub-request@xxxxxxxxxxx  and as the Juno's tagline
when read by a listserv robot thinking it was part of an instruction string
used to cause all kinds of havoc, Juno programmed its computers to recognize
the word Request and when they ran across it in the address it would skip
adding the tagline...  and it eliminated the grief the added tagline would
cause.  So it's the word Request in the address that keeps the tagline at
bay. I think at the time we came up with 4 or 5 other words that had the
same effect.

>Also, are incoming messages to no-tags-request automatically deleted
>there, or what?

Yes.  Just for the record former List member Tyler Atkins still provides
this service for us.  He owns the rumkin.com domain and has his computer
programmed to immediately delete No-tags e-mails on arrival.

However, you can create a Juno address such as babette-request@xxxxxxxx and
Cc: your messages to it and it would have the same effect.  But you'd have
to deal with deleting that message sooner or later.

At least this is the way it's worked for 10+ yr.

George Lunt  .....  no. cal.