[JA] Juno and POP3 -- from the software point of view

  • From: George Lunt <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 17:41:49 GMT

Hi All,

I've been meaning to weigh in on the POP3 and Juno discussion.  Babette wanted
to know 'What are the advantages' of POP3 and could you use it with Juno 4.
Some said yes, others no.  Some said only with the new Juno 6.

POP (Post Office Protocol) is the method a computer uses to communicate with a
mail server over the Internet.  It's the standard of communications the two
machines use for identification, conversation, authentication and receipt and
transport of e-mail.  The standard is that this takes place via port 110.

To this end, one needs 3 things.  A computer with a POP capable e-mail program,
a connection to the Internet, and a mail service (post office).  In Juno's
case, it can be all three.  Juno can be the e-mail program, the connection to
the Internet, and it can be the mail service. More commonly, the mail program
is separate entity from the ISP which usually also acts as the post office
(mail service).  For example, using Outlook Express (e-mail program) with your
local ISP which also provides the mail service.

It's important to note for our discussion purposes, that it is also 'common'
for the POP3 capable e-mail programs to work with most any mail service.  For
instance, Outlook Express can be setup to work with NetZero, Juno, Earthlink,
Access4less, 695online, and many, many other mail services.  You can use
Pegasus to do the same. Or Eudora, Foxmail and many other e-mail programs too
work with many, many services.

So now lets compare the Juno software to these others.  Let's start with v1.49.
 It will connect to Juno's server, but that's all.  So for our purposes, we'd
have to say it is not a POP3 mail program.  How about Juno 3 or 4?  While they
may also be able to retrieve mail from the Juno servers, that's it.  So again,
I'd have to say, nope, not POP3.  As for Juno 6, heck, even though the Juno
servers have now been 'opened' to other POP3 e-mail programs, you don't even
get an e-mail program with Juno 6!

NO e-mail program comes with Juno 6.  Not Juno v5.0.33 and certainly not any
Juno v6.  The instructions for setting up Juno 6 point you to Outlook, Outlook
Express, Eudora and one or two other POP3 programs, but don't even include any
of Juno's older versions.  Which is actually an error on Juno's part...  or
perhaps it's another one of Juno's not so subtle indicators of the future.  It
may be good to remember that NetZero NEVER created an e-mail program.  NetZero
is simply a dialer/ad server.  NO e-mail program.

But what of Juno v5.0.33.  You can, like v1.49, v3, v4 or v6 use it to get your
Juno e-mail.  But the separator we've used to separate previous versions of
Juno and POP3 mail programs was whether or not you can get mail from other
services.  Well lo and behold, you can.  You use Options/E-mail
Preferences/Links to External E-mail Accounts.  You can get your NetZero mail,
mail from your local ISP server, Earthlink, Access4less, etc., etc.  So I'd
have to say that Juno v5.0.33 is POP3 capable.

Did I mention that you CAN NOW use ONE Juno account and the POP3 capable Juno
v5.0.33 software to access ALL your other Juno accounts WITHOUT having to log
into them separately?  Yep, now that Juno has 'opened' it's servers to standard
POP3 access, you can use Juno v5.0.33 to access your other Juno accounts just
as you can the accounts you have at other services.  You simply set up your
other Juno accounts as "Links to External Accounts" just as it they were on a
totally separate service.

So, let's see Babette.  We can access our all our Juno e-mail accounts from one
account without "Switching Accounts" and we can access our Juno e-mail from
other POP3 programs such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Pegasus, Eudora, etc.,
etc.

Another major advantage of using a program such as Pegasus, Outlook Express, or
many others is to NOT have your security settings governed by the Internet
Express browser.  You can set up tighter controls than the browser settings
(something you can't do with Juno), so as to NOT allow scripts to run
automatically for instance, making your system much less susceptible to virus
attacks.

I've also experienced far less trouble setting up spam filters in these other
programs versus Juno's Mail Assistants.  Note that you can run Outlook Express,
for example, and use it's filtering regardless of what version of Juno you use.
 With the 'opening' of their servers to POP3 access, Juno has also opened the
door to using spam blocking program, such as Mailwasher, SpamWeasel, and many
others and also the newer spam blocking services that are showing up.

George Lunt ..... so. cal.