[juneau-lug] Re: ibm rs/6000 7020

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:55:29 -0900

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:19:26 -0500 (EST)
setient@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> however it goes and asks for the system disk or something like sms
> disk but i don't have that i just press return it don't work

It does that when it can't find anything to boot from.  Hmm.

I know that it will boot from the external SCSI bus, as one of the
ones I have here boots from an Iomega Jaz drive that is connected to
the external SCSI connecter.  The Jaz drive is SCSI ID 5, and the
internal HDD is SCSI ID 6 - so if the Jaz drive is powered up, it
becomes /dev/sda, and the machine boots from it.  I've also used
external CDs to boot from.  Not Apple ones though - NEC MultiSpins and
a La Cie 2x burner.  I don't think the brand has much to do with it
though.

So your machine might not be seeing your external CD.  Does the CD
activity light flash when you reboot your 7020?  It should flicker a
little bit twice - once when the 7020 is scanning the SCSI bus (you'll
see a disk icon appear on the splash screen), and again after you hear
the startup chime and the 7020 searches for a boot device.  It should
search the floppy disk first - which you don't have, and then all SCSI
devices in order.  If the external CD doesn't spin up, it may be a
termination or cable problem.  Does your external CD have a built in
terminator, or do you have an external terminator on the CD?

If your 7020 *is* seeing the CD, try setting your external CD to SCSI
ID 1, so it sees the CD before it sees the hard drive.  (Although it
should just skip the hard drive if it isn't bootable.)

If you do get your 7020 to see your CD, and the SCSI ID is lower than
your hard drive, then make sure you grabbed a good copy of my CD.  The
md5 sum of the cd image is listed on the page.  I've updated the
sandalfoot page on the juneau-lug website, and at the bottom of the
page I've got an installation log showing you what to expect when it
does boot.

The SMS disk it is asking for is available here:

ftp://ftp.boulder.ibm.com/rs6000/firmware/7020-40p/sms128.dd

Since you don't have a floppy drive, you'll have to scrounge one up
first.  A normal PC floppy drive should work.  The SMS disk is nice,
as it has some diagnostic utilities and lets you set firmware options.