[juneau-lug] Re: Simple backup script

  • From: Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:41:31 -0900

Thanks James!  On a related note, I was thinking this morning that I really
need to bone up on vi as there are times when it's the editor of choice
(like booting up in rescue mode).  Way back when, I created a little cheat
sheet with basic commands and such on it which is below.  Probably old hat
to most of you, but if there are other Linux newcomers (I hate the phrase
"newbie") maybe they'll find it useful.  Back in '95 I took a UNIX class, so
these are notes from that.  I assume that all the commands work as
advertised.  Some may have been deprecated or superceded.  If so, please
feel free to correct me...

      Shortform for the "vi" Unix text editor.

      Note that upper and lower case is very important.

      Edit a file
      ===========
      vi filename     where <filename> is the file to edit

      Cursor movement
      ===============
      h     cursor left           w     next word
      l     cursor right          b     previous word
      k     cursor up
      j     cursor down

      Text insert and delete
      ======================
      vi has two modes, command mode and text insertion mode.

      To enter the insert mode type either i or a,

      i     insert text at cursor
      a     insert text one position right of cursor

      To exit text mode and enter command mode, press the ESC key

      x     delete one character at cursor
      dd    delete current line
      dw    delete from cursor to end of word
      cw    enters change word mode and changes word (from cursor to end
            of word) to what you key in. Exit cw by pressing the ESC key.

      u     undo previous command

      Search and replace
      ==================
      /string     search forward for <string>, case sensitive
      ?string     search backwards for <string>, case sensitive
      n           repeat previous search

      Save and exit
      ZZ    save current file and exit vi
      :q!   exit vi without saving current file

...Kevin
Kevin Miller
CBJ MIS Dept.               Network Systems Administrator, Mail
Administrator
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500