[jjr69] Re: Real Life: A Resolution for the New Year

  • From: Vanthdo@xxxxxxx
  • To: jjr69@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 03:00:40 EST

Anh Le and anh Chuong,

Anh Le, you are correct.  Just last night, I was watching the debate in the
Senate regarding the Republicans' opposition to the extension of unemployment
benefits.  Also, the tax cuts proposed by the President were discussed, with
hard figures that clearly show that only the top richest people in this
country would benefit from such tax cuts, and that the "trickle down" theory
is abysmally off the marks!  I realize that some of our friends' beliefs are
fundamentally opposed to mine, but logically, there is no denying that if the
President had his ways, the country would go back to the gloomy days of the
Reagan and post-Reagan years, when the economy was driven down to its lowest,
unemployment up to its highest, and the gap between the rich and the poor was
at its widest...

I know certain people feel I may be incapable of a good laugh.  I do not wish
to debate the veracity of this belief. I will let my close friends be the
judges of that.  However, I would say this: there is a time for fun and
laughter, and there is a time for seriousness and for raising people's
consciousness.  For after all, we owe it to ourselves and to our fellow men
(and women) to be aware and to contribute.  That is what makes us human.  We
need some balance in our life: pure fun and detachment could be just as bad
as radicalism and excessive activism.  I don't practice either... Many times
I have burst out into a roaring laugh reading some of the forum postings,
without nevertheless responding or commenting.  Other times, I have been
overwhelmed with emotions, respect or admiration for some other postings.

So I would warn all of us against strereotyping anybody or labeling someone
based on what is seen on the surface, without a thought for what is unseen or
what could be read between the lines, least we be unfair.  I also do not
subscribe to the belief that we are just a "cour de recreation".   No offense
meant to the people who believe it, just a difference in opinion, and, to
quote a dear and respected friend:  "Ne laissez pas les differences devenir
des differends".  We are all over 50, or at least 50.  We all have an
impressive life story in very many ways (and I am not talking about material
success).  I hope we are here together to share our life experience, to
exchange our thoughts,  just as much as we are here to share good laughs and
mischief.

Having said that, I must also add that I really do not mind friendly teasing,
as long as it stays within the realm of good taste and decorum.

Anh Chuong, I love your blase attitude laced with sarcasm.  That is my
favorite brand of humor... Hope to see you soon, either in the Bay area or in
LA.

Van