[jhb] Re: Ronaldsway

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 17:13:26 +0100

Oh dear, "Iconic". I hadn't realised that meant just like all the others. The new ones are all basically alike, whereas the older versions generally had individual characters.

Gerry Winskill

On 15/08/2011 17:05, Phil Reynolds wrote:
Hi Bones,

EGBB is having more improvements as well, the latest is the new tower,
details and pictures here :

http://bhxflightguide.blogspot.com/2011/08/news-atc.html

After that will be the runway extension in 2014, followed by more
terminals/gates I think.

Phil

On 14 August 2011 19:43, Fossil <fossil@xxxxxxx <mailto:fossil@xxxxxxx>>
wrote:

    I was up at the new radar site earlier today to see how things are
    progressing.

    The new primary radar head is now in position as are the more subtle
    Mode S receivers – no huge rotating head for the new system as Mode
    S is totally passive.

    The new site is also open access and with a new road leading up to
    the compound it is probably going to become a very popular location
    once spotters find out about it. Being just north of 26 threshold
    you get an eye level view of the aircraft on short final – excellent
    for photographs!

    The excitement is tinged with some sadness because the demolition
    order for the old control tower has now been issued. It’s a shame
    because very few WW2 control towers remain in good condition and it
    was an enjoyable place to work. Sadly they need to pull it down to
    extend the departure pier right to the edge of the apron – which
    essentially will cut the apron into two separate areas.

    bones

    bones@xxxxxxx <mailto:bones@xxxxxxx>

    http://woodair.net