[jhb] Re: Good read

  • From: Alex Barrett <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 18:14:57 +0100

Title: Untitled Document
I'll pick it up next time I'm in town, can't beat a good read.

I would highly recommend "First Light" by Geoffy Wellum, about a 17 year old lads transition through training in 1939 to being a front line Spitfire pilot (true story of course)

Or, for those that haven't read it, W/Co Guy Gibson's "Enemy coast ahead" the uncensored version (as the original was edited by the MOD under the 30 year rule or whatever it was)

As well as Gerry's Recent suggestion of Vulcan 607.

If you have a large bowl of salt nearby grab a huge fistful and read Chuck Yeager's autobiography. He's even said himself at some points that a lot of it is total B**locks but the war years are a very good read, again have the salt nearby at all times.

Arthur C. Clarke's "Glide Path" is an excellent part fiction telling of how RADAR was developed, along with other projects such as FIDO during the war. Lost of aviation content. Gripping stuff.

One I grabbed from the girlfriend which had a picture of a aircraft on the front on a bored evening turned out to be ok too. "Hornet Flight" by Ken Follett. The aviation gets more of a front row as the book goes on but an alright read in the garden.

If you fancy the usual Uncle Sam Vs. The World stuff then I will highly reccomend anything by Dale Brown, although mainly his early years. The past 6 years when he has been co-writing with others have been abysmal. He's an Ex USAF F-111 Navigator/Pilot and the level of detail he goes into about the operating systems etc in his early books is exceptional.

Of course there is that other aviation writer.... W.E.Johns, he wrote a couple of books under the title "Biggles" if you have heard of them, and unless you have read all 78 of them you have no excuse for being without reading material ;)

I'm on book 52 if anyone has any that could fill gaps in my collection!?

God I go on a bit don't I!

Alex

Mike Brook wrote:
I've just finished reading (for the untold umpteenth time) "F4
Phantom - A Pilot's Story" by Robert Prest. It is a 'must read' if
you've not come across it.  (Sheesh,  I really regret not joining
the RAF as a pilot in the early sixties, I was scuppered by the
bl**dy dreadful eyesight ... <g>).  No consolation, but it has been
great to have been able to get out in the sunshine to read a good
book and relax over the last few days!  Anyone else got favourite
aviation titles that they would like to share?

MikeB

--
Alex Barrett
Turbine Sound Studios