[jhb] GPS And Cross Country

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 13:45:48 +0100

Last night, to look at conditions at another UK2000 field, I flew East Fortune to Elvington, using ASv6 weather, which turned out to be very hazy but still VFR. I don't usually use GPS, 'cos I get my kicks out of trying to follow my planned chart route. Last night I enabled FS Commander, to pick up the two airfield codes. With the GPS button enabled I was surprised how much easier the flight was. I hadn't made a flightplan, so there were no lines to follow and none of my FSNav fixes available either. What made it really helpful was the two displayed figures, for Heading and Track. From these it was possible to keep an eye on the actual drift and change the aircraft heading, so that I always followed my planned track. Just another thing I've just noticed, whilst it's been staring me in the face.

BTW, is there a way of getting FSC to use the real life fixes, sourced from Bones, that appear in my FSNav?