[jhb] Re: Flight levels East and West bound.

  • From: "John Hill" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 19:37:21 +0100

Cheers Peter..

Info now added to my wee notebook!!!!

From: jhb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jhb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Peter Dodds
Sent: 19 October 2012 12:40
To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [jhb] Re: Flight levels East and West bound.

South of the Pyrenees (I think) the semicircular rule rotates 90 degrees.
Southbound flights even, northbound, odd. Something to do with the
prevailing traffic directions over southern Europe being North-South (as
opposed to north Atlantic and northern Europe traffic as far east as Berlin
being predominantly east-west).  Bones will no doubt add chapter and verse!

Cheers,

Peter

 <mailto:john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> John Hill

19 October 2012 10:22

This is where I'm going to learn something J.

My understanding has always been that westbound flights are even FLs and
eastbound were odd. I'm currently flying between Ibiza and Tirana and had
filed FL330 as I'm heading East. However I have been advised by Barcelona
control that I need to be on an even Flight Level. What have I missed or
have I just over simplified the whole thing???

Cheers

John

 <mailto:bones@xxxxxxx> Bones

19 October 2012 01:41

Frans has asked I forward this so I do so. More for information than to
persuade you all to go.. J

http://woodair.net