[jhb] Re: Farmstrip Campaigns

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 20:44:42 +0100

Frank,

Good. The stickey ups do make a difference. I recall GC, on the UK Scenery list, being against any form of sticky up, when first VFR GM arrived on the scene(ery).

Meanwhile, I'm sitting on the ground at Binstead, looking past the parked aircraft and the trees. In the distance, dead ahead, is an electricity pylon, with the VFR Addons' Abbey on the rise behind it. To the right of the pylon, across the Solent, I can see the stacks and columns of Fawley. To the right of them, even further away, I can see buildings and a chimney, on the skyline.

We used to hope it would get like this but I was one of the many who didn't think it could happen. One of the major plusses of FSX is that distant buildings don't just disappear, or go untextured, thus increasing the realism.

There's a downside. The 300' masts, in FSX, are about as difficult to see as Bones said they would be, some years ago. There are two, not mine, on the IOW that stand out. That's because they are FS9 and so appear black, which does make them stand out.

Gerry Winskill

FrankTurley@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 05/08/2007 19:59:35 GMT Daylight Time, gwinsk@xxxxxxx writes:

    I've just landed at Binstead..... Well, slightly embarassing, I
    thought
    I had but found I'd mistaken a mown strip in the next field, to the
    West. Anyway, without disturbing the Abbot too much, I got out again
    smartly and did a neighbour annoying circuit, over the Solent, to
    land
    on the real rwy18.
    When you do eventually spot it it's challengingly short, you have to
    approach from the right of the centreline, to avoid the trees; oh,
    and
    the hangar and apron are tucked in, behind the trees, on the Eastern
    side of the threshold.. Having said that, it's extremely satifying.
    Anyone else made it yet?
    It's quiet in that area, on IVAO, at the moment. A bit further
    South and
    the Jersey controller is having a dig at traffic not contacting
    him, in
    a controlled zone.

    Gerry Winskill

Have done Binstead in FS2004, there is what looks like a runway adjacent, it confused me too. Quarr Abbey lies to the north, it looks like MS made an Easter Egg for it. I still have the last batch to do in FSX, I'm going to be planning these as per your notes. I was flying with the Sunday am VFR club earlier, managed to load the FSX ANO first, there was a lot to see from Milford Haven to Cardiff, no problems with the install or the readme. Frank T.