[jhb] Re: Bizjet Query

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:49:15 +0100

Not as hard as I thought it might be and now reasonably well sorted.

Next job to do a panel, based on the original.

Gerry Winskill

Gerry Winskill wrote:
Right, next gripping installment.

I cured the Autopilot and APPR acquisition problems, simply by substituting the AUTOPILOT section from my tweaked Citation's Aircraft.cfg. That left me with another serious problem. The published Dirty Stall Speed for the Gulfsream is 96kias. That leads to a probable Vref of 128kias. If I set that as the speed on ILS finals then the attitude is significantly nose down and a nosewheel touchdown becomes unavoidable.

At Bones' suggestion, I recorded the actual dirty stall at maximum weight. It was 86kias and that gives me a much lower Vref of 114. If I fly finals at that speed, then the attitude is normal and touchdown attitude OK. It also looks painfully slow!

So, it's back to trying to change the unrealistic stall speeds, which also result in unrealistically low Vr at takeoff. I've tried adding a line to the Flaps sectio Lift_Scalar=0.5, to see what that does.

I may be gone for some time.....

Gerry Winskill

Gerry Winskill wrote:
I'll try that weight as well, though without too much optimism. I also check at a likely minimum landing weight and that stall came at a pretty unlikely 70kias.

It's also dodgy in autopilot. When I try an APPR ILS capture it seems unable to capture, or hold, the glideslope. I wouldn't have thought that was influenced by anything but the AUTOPILOT section of Aircraft,cfg and that looks quite normal. To eliminate Panel oddities I'm f testing whilst using the Panel I made for the Citation.

It's also odd if I connect the AP and Alt on takeoff, pitching up to a much higher angle than Aircraft.cfg dictates.

If anyone would like to try it, to see if it behaves any better on AP, just shout and I'll put the aircraft on my download site.

Gerry Winskill

Fossil wrote:
Try again at MAUW. Tests are always done at MAUW in case of worst scenario
(aircraft has a problem and needs to land well above MLW).