[jhb] Re: Autothrottle

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 15:30:50 +0100

That makes sense.

I'd dialed in 360, at lowish altitude, to see how the AT would respond to a step change in dialed speed.

I remember reading a flight test of the Lear 45, when first it came out. The pilot said one of the more demanding aspects was the speed with which it had to be throttled back, once airborn, to avoid exceeding permitted speeds. This because it was overpowered for that phase. Don't some of them actually set less than 100% thrust, for takeoff, under some conditions?

Gerry Winskill

bones wrote:

In reality no business jet will be fitted with autothrottle. Airliners have
them because there can be a huge variation in weight on bigger aircraft with
the aircraft, effectively, being grossly overpowered at light weights.

There isn't any harm in sticking an AT on an FS bizjet but the effectiveness
depends a lot on the quality of the performance file. The figures you give
would seem to suggest the aircraft is overpowered but there may be a reason
for this.

An AT will never give you bags of thrust when you dial in a higher speed or
ROC - just sufficient power to meet the new targets it has been set. I've
seen other aircraft that suffer a 10kt target loss but all I've done is add
10 to the required speed.

From your description below it seems as though the target ROC is being
achieved but with a shortfall on IAS. I presume you dialled in 340KIAS at
low level because at height it would have been pushing the aircraft along at
close to supersonic speed.