[jhb] Re: Autothrottle

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 08:58:46 +0100

Next question.
What would be a realistic power setting for design max cruise speed at FL350?

Gerry Winskill

Gerry Winskill wrote:

In many of my modified panels I have a gauge to display the percentage thrust lever setting. On quite a few aircraft I've noticed that they are reluctant to climb, on A/P, at dialled in rate of climb ans speed. The thrust gauge shows that this is due to the A/P's niggardly use of Thrust. At the moment I've just taken off in a Citation. It's climbing at 1800 fpm and not quite making the dialled in 240 kias. When I increase set speed to 270 kias, it uses no more than 50 % and it doesn't make better than 263 kias. If I then increase ROC to 2200, the thrust still doesn't exceed 53%. If I make a bigger speed increase, to 340 kias, it initially increases to 80% before dropping back to 53%, at which setting it doesn't exceed 340 kias.

If I use manual throttle, I can get much better acceleration but have to be careful not to pass my target speed by a large margin.

Any ideas folks?