[jhb] Re: Astronomy

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 19:48:45 +0000

Mike,

The Skywatcher looks a reasonable alternative, with good reviews, as a starter unit. Bewaring wraparounds, it's at

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-sky-watcher-130-explorer-5-1-inch-newtonian-reflector-telescope/p1017011

Gerry Winskill

On 17/11/2011 16:09, Mike Lucas wrote:
Gerry

Probably difficult to beat at that price, but you should be aware of the
limitations of this model - useful thread here
<http://stargazerslounge.com/archive/index.php/t-124420.html>.

As with most things, it depends what your budget is.  Have a look at
http://www.scsastro.co.uk/ for a good selection and some useful advice.

Mike L

On 17 November 2011 16:52, Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx
<mailto:gwinsk@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Not my scene but desperation for Christmas present ideas, for our
    son, triggers the question.

    Jessops have an astronomical telescope on offer, the 1100-102. Is
    anyone on the list into astronomy and able to offer any comments?