Re: service pack 2 Firewall?

  • From: "Steve" <k8sp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:16:25 -0400

Chip and Others,

Here's a FAQ regarding SP2 from Symantek.  Note their discussion of the
firewall...

For those of you who may run Norton Symantec products such as Internet
Security, Norton Personal firewall, or Norton Anti-virus here's some info on
XP Service Pack 2.  I just downloaded my copy of SP2, but plan to continue to
run Norton Internet Security and Anti-Virus.

Q:
Do Symantec products require Windows. XP Service Pack 2 to work?
A:
No. If your Symantec products run on Windows. XP now, they do not require
Service Pack 2 to continue working.

Q:
How will installing Service Pack 2 affect the Symantec products I already have
installed?
A:
This varies based on the Symantec products that you own:

Norton AntiVirus
Installing Service Pack 2 will have no affect on Norton AntiVirus. The Windows
Security Center will be aware that you have Norton AntiVirus installed, but it
will not be able to determine its working status due to Symantec's
tamper-protection technology.

Norton Firewall/Norton Internet Security
Installing Service Pack 2 will have no affect on Norton Personal Firewall or
Norton Internet Security. The Windows Security Center will be aware that you
have one of these products installed, but it will not be able to determine
their working status due to Symantec's tamper-protection technology.

Norton AntiSpam
Installing Service Pack 2 will have no affect on Norton AntiSpam.

Norton SystemWorks
Installing Service Pack 2 will have no affect on Norton SystemWorks. The
Windows Security Center will be aware that you have Norton AntiVirus installed
but it will not be able to determine its working status due to Symantec's
tamper-protection technology.

Norton GoBack
Installing Service Pack 2 will have no affect on Norton GoBack.

Norton PartitionMagic
Installing Service Pack 2 will have no affect on Norton PartitionMagic.

Norton Ghost
Installing Service Pack 2 will have no affect on Norton Ghost.

pcAnywhere
Installing Service Pack 2 will have no affect on pcAnywhere.

Q:
Will Service Pack 2 cause problems installing Symantec products?
A:
It should not. However, you may see a Windows Security Alert when you first
start your product if your product requires outbound connections. This happens
with pcAnywhere. In that situation, the security alert gives you the option to
"unblock" the application to allow it to work.

Q:
With Service Pack 2 installed, do I even need my Symantec antivirus and
firewall products?
A:
Absolutely. Although Windows. XP Service Pack 2 monitors your antivirus
software, it has no antivirus capability itself. Your continued use of Norton
AntiVirus
is crucial to the security of your computer. Norton AntiVirus automatically
detects and deletes worms, Trojan horses, and viruses without interrupting
your work. Norton AntiVirus detects malicious code that is stored in
compressed files and file archives, and identifies and alerts you to the
presence
of spyware.

The Windows Firewall is designed to monitor and control inbound network
traffic only. It does not provide outbound traffic protection, intrusion
detection and response, or privacy controls -- all critical to securing your
computer from outside attacks. Norton Personal Firewall and Norton Internet
Security
controls all outgoing network traffic. It alerts you to intrusion attempts and
automatically blocks all traffic from the attacker. Norton Personal Firewall
protects your privacy by filtering confidential information (like phone
numbers, credit card numbers, and bank account numbers) and by blocking
cookies on a site-to-site basis.

back to top

Q:
Does the Windows Security Center turn off or break my Norton antivirus and
firewall products?
A:
No. The Windows Security Center passively monitors and reports the operating
status of your antivirus and firewall products. However, Windows Security
Center
may not be able to determine the working status of Symantec products due to
the tamper protection technology embedded in Symantec products.

Steve