Re: MS Word repeating a line

  • From: "Debbie Scales" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:53:46 -0400

Ralph, as people were discussing earlier, you might try changing your say
all by settings.  This TSN sounds exactly like what you are describing, and
I know it references jaws 4.5, but I thought that this bug had been fixed by
Jaws 5.

Consecutive punctuation in Word may cause JAWS 3.7 and higher to speak the
sentence incorrectly. (08/28/2002)
http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_support/BulletinView.cfm?QC=288
Details of Selected Bulletin
Bulletin Type: TSN Number: 12774
Date Posted: 08/28/2002

Product Name: JAWS for Windows

Version: 4.5

Category: Microsoft Word

Short Description:
Consecutive punctuation in Word may cause JAWS 3.7 and higher to speak the
sentence incorrectly.

Problem:
This problem may affect JAWS 3.71, 4.0, 4.01, 4.02, 4.5 in Word 97/2000/XP.

In JAWS 4.5, if a sentence contains two or more consecutive punctuation
marks, JAWS may say the sentence or a portion of the sentence twice during
SayAll or with SaySentence. In Earlier versions of JAWS, sentences with two
or more consecutive punctuation marks may result in text being skipped over
during SayAll or with SaySentence.

Explanation: With some combinations of punctuation symbols, it is not
possible for Word to accurately recognize the sentence and retrieve the text
in the sentence for JAWS to speak. This resulted in skipped text with
versions of JAWS earlier than 4.5 where the Word object model was used to
determine the sentence unit. In JAWS 4.5, additional code was added to
calculate the range of the sentence. This removed the problem with text
being skipped during SayAll or with SaySentence, but introduced the
situation where a sentence or portion of a sentence may be spoken twice
under some circumstances where the Word object model failed to accurately
determine the text in the sentence.

The problem described here typically occurs in some situations where
punctuation marks normally designated as sentence terminators (such as
period, question mark and exclamation point) are followed by additional
punctuation symbols, and when this combination does not indicate the end of
a sentence.

Solution:
If SayAll is exhibiting the problem described above, we suggest that the Say
All By mode be temporarily toggled in the Verbosity dialog to Say All By
Line. SayAll will then be performed without attempting to calculate the
sentence unit.