RE: natural voices

  • From: "Ronald Colombo" <roncol@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:23:47 +0200

Hi John,

I got the AT&T Natural voices as part of TextAloud (a text to speech
software package). I think they are very good. I installed them in Jaws
using the Windows sapi5x synthesizer. They work with this synthesizer
but there is a deterioration of quality (compared with the way they
sound with TextAloud). Apparently for use with Jaws the Flextalk
synthesizer is required. This is used in the Kurzweill 1000 but I have
not been able to get hold of it. To summarise my experience with AT&T
with Jaws; I use AT&T for reading books or other long text documents but
stick to Eloquence for getting around. My reason for doing so is that I
have Eloquence going at a fair pase to save time and this rate would
stop AT&T from sounding natural.

Hope this helps,

Ciao,

Ron.