Re: jaws/word 2003

  • From: Jean Menzies <jemenzies@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 10:06:04 -0700

Hi Joy

Well, I can't speak about laptop keys with Jaws, but I've never heard of
the command you say you are using to read what line you're on.

To read the line you're on, do you mean the line number or the text on
the line?  For a standard keyboard, the command for reading the line
number and cursor position is Jaws key plus the delete key.  Alt plus
delete will read the cursor position in inches or whatever your unit of
measure is from the left and top margins.  But I've never heard of the
key combination you're referring to.

As for the Co that is spoken after you open a new document, first check
and see if you have extra toolbars displayed.  Go to View and Toolbars
and uncheck everything except the Standard and maybe the Format
toolbars.  The hotkey for Styles works much better in Word 2003 with the
Format toolbar off, so try that.  The reason to turn off all toolbars
unless you are in the middle of using one is that it can put stuff on
the screen that covers up screen text and then Jaws can't read it.  Jaws
will often announce strange stuff sometimes as well.  So check that.  My
bet is that's the culprit.

Also, without knowing exactly how your system is set up, is Jaws reading
the status bar and identifying the language setting?  I rather doubt
that, and I'd put my money on the Co is a toolbar display.  So check
that and see how it goes.

Jean