Re: jaws topic?

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 20:46:25 -0700

Robert,
While I was surprised, after reading your reply below, to find that Control
H works not only in Word, the only place I've ever used it, but in Notepad
as well (and I assume it will work in WordPad, also, then), I tried using it
from the top of a list of files within a folder, and wasn't surprised at all
to find that it's not operative there.  In other words, it's not some sort
of global Windows function that simply finds and replaces anything,
anywhere, in any context.  Just something for dealing with text within a
text file.

I remember back when I used DOS type computers that you could perform
operations like this on the filenames within a directory by using a command
line command, whose typical syntax I've forgotten by now.  And I know there
are a lot of people on a list like this who have great affection for the Run
command in the Windows Start menu, and know how to perform all sorts of
operations from there.  Maybe one of them can recommend something that'll
work in that way.

Otherwise, sorry.  I'm pretty sure Control H, for all its ubiquity as
something you can use on text *within* a file, isn't a  function that can be
used *outside* of files, on lists of filenames within a folder.

Sorry.  That's the best I can do on this.  Good luck.
n coopetaiton bitiquitty he,momm