RE: jaws 9.0.353/copy & paste full content from IE 7 to Word XP

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:00:02 -0500

Hi Andy,

Sorry for my late answer; obviously I'm behind in my list reading.

Also sorry Tom, but your answer about use of paste special is really off
here.

When you paste in Word it normally gives you a menu, that jaws does not
speak, of pasting choices.  They cover whether what you've just pasted
is to keep it's appearance as it was in the original document, or
whether it's to be made to match the appearance of the text that
surrounds it in your document.  This is done via a Word smart tag.  You
can get jaws to speak the menu of these pasting options using the read
smart tag options command (insert + control + alt + s), but only if it's
the immediately next operation you do in Word.  The menu will disappear
if you do anything else in Word.

Word is not always consistent about being able to read this smart tag,
and I've already reported to FS that version 9 has trouble with various
Word smart tag options, and they've duplicated these.

Here's a small description of this from a book I have on Word 2003:

"Using the Paste Options Button

When you paste text into a Word 2003 document, a Paste Options button
appears (see Figure 3.4
<mk:@MSITStore:C:\e-books\word-books\2003\Special%20Edition%20Using%20Mi
crosoft%20Word%202003.chm::/078972958X_ch03lev1sec3.html#ch03fig04> ).
Clicking this button gives you control over how the text you are pasting
will be formatted. The options available vary depending on what you are
pasting, and where you are pasting it. But if you are pasting one block
of text into another, your options are typically these:

*       Keep Source Formatting tells Word to format the text exactly as
it was formatted in the document you pasted it from.

*       Match Destination Formatting tells Word to format the text to
match surrounding text in the location where you pasted it.

*       Keep Text Only clears all manual formatting and styles from the
text, displaying it in the style Word uses as its default, Normal.
Unless you've made changes, this means that your text will be formatted
as 12-point Times New Roman, with no italics, boldface, or other
character formatting.

*       Apply Style or Formatting displays the Styles and Formatting
task pane, where you can choose the formatting or style you want to use.
(See Chapter 4
<mk:@MSITStore:C:\e-books\word-books\2003\Special%20Edition%20Using%20Mi
crosoft%20Word%202003.chm::/078972958X_ch04.html#ch04>  for more
nformation on this feature.)"

Andy, you'd want to choose "keep source formatting" if you need it to
keep it's same point size as it was in the web page.

hth,

Chip

Chip Orange
Database Administrator