Re: batch files and command prompt regarding the kill jaws batch file

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:50:49 -0700

Rich,

thanks for this careful illustration. It's been a long time since I did much
with DOS, which is to say since I began using Windows around 1998 after
about 23 years of using DOS computers. But now these notations begin to look
familiar to me. like the rems you put in to deactivate the lines you don't
wish to execute or cause problems,, the clear screen (cls), and I just
remembered that I used to begin all my batch files with cd/ so that the file
would begin at the root directory. So in a way, this is a nice trip down
memory lane.

but the truth is, if someone could provide the right line to use for the
batch file, complete with a path to type at the beginning of the filename if
needed, and it was proper for XP Home, it would simply work. I don't think
my running it with pauses is bound to turn up anything instructive. It's
just the wrong material for the job, is what I'm concluding at this point.

Well, as Vie said, I look forward to finding a solution.

P.s. What a neat surname you have. Is the accent on the second syllable, as
I'm guessing? Is it Louisiana Cajun or French Canadian, maybe? It even
occurred to me that it could be a French transliteration of a Polish or
Russian language surname, but that seems like a fanciful stretch, I think.