Re: Windows XP vs. ME

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:33:22 -0800

Hi Richard,
You wrote:

> I have JAWS 5.0 with Windows ME.  Works OK but friends urge me to switch
> Windows XP for better overall performance.  Comments?

Windows XP is, overall, more stable and I definitely recommend it. Some
people hate Windows ME and complain about its tendency to crash. I have a
three-year-old Dell machine which came stock with ME and haven't had much
trouble with it at all.

 Cautions?

Yeah. My usual rule of thumb is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've been
tempted to upgrade to XP on this old Dell, but I may just run this sucker
into the ground and buy a whole new system eventually. If you have the itch
to upgrade the OS, your system meets the requirements and you're reasonably
certain that you'll get good performance, then go ahead, knock yourself out.
If you're upgrading an existing system, you may have better results if you
format the hard drive and install XP and all your apps from the ground up.
Others may disagree with me on this. Also, if you're using JAWS Standard and
are thinking about XP Professional, get ready for a hefty charge for
upgrading to JAWS pro, but you knew that already, right?

 Conflicts?

Only if you try to use the wrong device drivers, then you're in a world of
hurt. Make sure you have all that covered if you're upgrading an existing
system.

Tom