Re: Vista Cost?

  • From: "Cher Bosch" <Cher.Bosch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 12:27:11 -0600

Correction to what I just said about the home premium price.  Below I've
pasted the end of the article I sent earlier, which explains all the
versions and the prices.

 Microsoft offers three versions of Vista to home users in the United
States: Home Basic, Home Premium, and Ultimate. You can buy any of these
in the upgrade version with a discount, or the stand-alone version
without the discount.  The cheapest way for current Windows XP users to
get a legal copy of Vista is to buy the upgrade version of Home Basic,
which is $99. But you don't want the cheapest version.   First, the
upgrade version will require you to keep your Windows XP CD for years.
You do have a Windows XP CD handy, don't you? Second, Home Basic just
won't cut it for most people. It lacks the Aero UI and Media Center
capabilities. Plus, you can't connect Xbox peripherals to Home Basic.
For many, including yours truly, those are the three best reasons to
upgrade to Vista in the first place.   Home Premium ($239 for the full
and $159 for the upgrade version) is roughly equivalent to Windows XP
Home. It's for nontechnical, nonpower users who employ their system for
lightweight, personal purposes only. But if you're the kind of user who
runs Windows XP Pro at home, you'll be happiest with Windows Vista
Ultimate. It's got all the fun and goodies of Home Premium, plus the
power-user features in the business version of Vista.   Are you sitting
down? The full version of Windows Vista Ultimate costs $399. If you have
an XP CD, and don't mind the hassle, the upgrade version of Vista
Ultimate costs $259. Ouch!   (If you buy the Ultimate Edition, you'll be
able to buy additional copies of Vista Home Premium at a cost of $49.99.
For technical users, the ideal scenario for many will be Ultimate for
you and Home Premium for the spouse and kids.)   The cheapest Vista is
the copy that comes with a new PC because you get in on the reseller's
steep discount.  Cher

>>> "Allison Mervis" <allisonfm@xxxxxxxxx> 02/01/07 1:14 PM >>>

For which version though?
Allison