Use of Jaws with Firefox

  • From: "C.Colwell" <C.Colwell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 08:29:47 +0100

Hi,
Apologies if this topic has already been discussed - I'm new here!

As I understand from my limited testing, Jaws does not seem to read web
content displayed in the Firefox browser.

I found a Jaws adaptation for Firefox called Sharkware (at
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/s2s/latest/jaws1/home/index.shtml).  Does
anyone have experience of using this?  John Foliot has a positive
article (at http://www.wats.ca/articles/firefoxandjaws/71) and I'm
interested to hear any other opinions on Sharkware.  Does it work well?
Are there any pitfalls?

Also does anyone know whether Freedom Scientific are planning to offer
direct support for Firefox in future versions of Jaws?

Many thanks in advance for any information you can provide on this.

Regards,
Chetz

Dr Chetz Colwell
Accessibility in Educational Media team